Cakewalk By Bandlab: I Want To Try It Out

I want to try Cakewalk By Bandlab on my music machine, and I have a few important questions.

1. Is it able to run on Windows 7?

2. Can I run it offline?

3. Can it save projects as .cwp, .cwb and so on?

4. Most important of all, is it accesible to screenreaders like JAWS?

1) While Win 7 is no longer "supported", some report it is working fine.

2) Yes. Gotta go online to download it and online authorization is the easiest route.  But after that you don't have to be online to run it.

3) Yes, those are the supported formats (although no one uses the so-called "bun" files anymore. YMMV)

4) That I do not have an answer for...

t

26 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

1) While Win 7 is no longer "supported", some report it is working fine.

2) Yes. Gotta go online to download it and online authorization is the easiest route.  But after that you don't have to be online to run it.

3) Yes, those are the supported formats (although no one uses the so-called "bun" files anymore. YMMV)

4) That I do not have an answer for...

t

Will it cost me anything? If so, how much?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

I wonder if .cwp and .cwb files can be saved with Cakewalk By Bandlab.

Yes, they can. Also, Cakewalk by Bandlab and newer editions of Cakewalk software will only run on 64-bit computers.

@Annabelle  in a way starting now with Cakewalk by band lab might be a huge waste of your time. It would be like a car with an almost empty tank of gas.  I’m not sure if you are aware that it is soon to be discontinued and will stop working possibly by the end of this year if not sooner.
 They now have re named it back to Sonar and it is also no longer free. At this point in time we are just waiting to get the news of exactly what that will be .

But ya, pretty sure W7 is out of the question for the new Sonar. 

Have you ever looked into other DAWS that might support accessibility? 

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

@Annabelle  in a way starting now with Cakewalk by band lab might be a huge waste of your time. It would be like a car with an almost empty tank of gas.  I’m not sure if you are aware that it is soon to be discontinued and will stop working possibly by the end of this year if not sooner.
 They now have re named it back to Sonar and it is also no longer free. At this point in time we are just waiting to get the news of exactly what that will be .

But ya, pretty sure W7 is out of the question for the new Sonar. 

Have you ever looked into other DAWS that might support accessibility? 

Like what, I wonder?

5 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I wonder if .cwp and .cwb files can be saved with Cakewalk By Bandlab.

They are Cakewalk format files .CWP and .CWB, have been for years since Cakewalk SONAR was introduce. It will also open .WRK projects created in the Pro Audio software. 

You appear to not understand it is fundamentally the same program as Cakewalk SONAR by Gibson, and Cakewalk by Bandlab. It is built on the same code base.

Just now, Annabelle said:

Would Ableton Live be able to save projects in other formats like .cwp and .cwb?

Not those, they are cakewalk proprietary formats, ableton has its own, .als

On 4/11/2024 at 2:14 AM, Annabelle said:

Like what, I wonder?

Annabelle - I found a list of DAWs that are accessible to screen readers on this blog:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/music-software-accessible-we-rank-best-worst-apps-will-butler

Please  note these are the subjective rankings of a blind music producer and teacher. The top four are Apple only. The first one that can run on Windows is Reaper. This article is four years old, but "Sonar" is number seven on the list. By that time, SONAR did not exist, having been replaced by Cakewalk by Bandlab. It says that the architecture of Windows makes it difficult to build in accessibility. The list is only a small part of the article, and there is much more information there. I don't know how hard it is for your screen reader to parse formatted text on the internet. If you think it would help, let me know and I will copy and paste the article into a plain text editor (Notepad) and send it to you.

Good luck!