Scarlett solo 4 setup for guitar with amplifier.

Krishna Ramsundar

How do I set up my guitar and Peavy Vypyr vip 1? I don't see a signal.

Here's what I tried:

Guitar is connected to amp via standard guitar input, then I use an aux cable in the amp's headphone jack and connect it to the Scarlett via an jack adapter, the the Scarlett connects to my pc. I will need to buy a pair of speakers as I've been using my amp as the output lol.

Where am I going wrong?

14 hours ago, Krishna Ramsundar said:

Here's what I tried:

Guitar is connected to amp via standard guitar input, then I use an aux cable in the amp's headphone jack and connect it to the Scarlett via an jack adapter, the the Scarlett connects to my pc. I will need to buy a pair of speakers as I've been using my amp as the output lol.

Where am I going wrong?

Krishna..

Place the mic  occordingly,  for acoustic guitars near the soundhole; for electric guitars, close to the amp speaker.  Select the  microphone as the input device in Cakewalk and adjust the input gain to ensure you get a good sound level then hit record and start playing.  

You can also record just the guitar without the Amp  by plugging the cable from the guitar into the audio interface and then adding an amp modeling plugin to give you the sound you want by selecting the various available amp models.

Good luck 🎸

Edited by jesse g

17 hours ago, Krishna Ramsundar said:

Here's what I tried:

Where am I going wrong?

What do you mean by jack adapter? I have a Marshall class 5 head with a headphone jack on the back. To use that I use a TRS splitter into a DI box and attenuate the signal 20 dB. That works fine into a line level input.

20 minutes ago, rsinger said:

What do you mean by jack adapter? I have a Marshall class 5 head with a headphone jack on the back. To use that I use a TRS splitter into a DI box and attenuate the signal 20 dB. That works fine into a line level input.

Krishna, are you referring to this

image.png.8fad7e4ff26ce6622bdb48fe4be67f31.png or something like it

• 2 weeks later...

Good way to blow up the pre amps on the Scarlett! 

You can monitor what is happening with headphones connected to the solo headphone jack until you purchase proper studio monitors. 

I don't recommend doing what you are doing unless you are very very careful when turning up the input gain.

Obviously you are trying to use a stereo output into a mono input jack. That's also doomed to not work correctly.

You will need to purchase a mike like a Shure SM 57 or 58 and connect it to the XLR input to properly record the amp. The headphone output rarely sound like much. 

For now you are better of plugging your guitar directly into the Solo using the instrument jack and use TH3 guitar sim. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 7:34 PM, Krishna Ramsundar said:

Here's what I tried:

Where am I going wrong?

One option you have is to buy a direct box with at least one XLR output and one 1/4" output. You can plug the 1/4" output into your amplifier and the XLR output into your audio interface. You can listen to your guitar through your amp and record your direct signal into the computer. This will solve any latency issues you might otherwise encounter.

Edited by Chaps
More info

Just seen your idea to set up a solo ! Yikes!!  I agree with John Vere .. You should be very  careful when using an Aux out to anything that can't handle a high output signal ( Like an Aux out ) ..Even though John suggests setting your input very low, so as not to overload the preamp, ( excellent advice )  you might still get distortion from this signal. The Solo is made to use with it's USB to PC and then to your desired DAW, meaning your inputs from the SOLO go to your PC and then back to the SOLO, which should be heard from either cans or speakers, ( Monitors). Read jesse g's suggestion if your amp sound is really the sound you want ..

My strong advice is to look at the Focusrite W/S and study how your £140.00 device works as it comes with plugs like Marshall sounds etc ... before you damage it ... plus it should help with other setups you might want to make in the future ... KNOW YOUR GEAR  ...🎧

Chaps has a good idea .. 😉

Edited by Supa Reels

One thing I forgot to mention was that interconnection off this sort often results in a ground loop hum. I remember trying the headphone output of my Blackstar amp and it was terrible. 

A DI box is only needed if you are recording both the amp with a mike and also want the direct signal from the guitar. A very common and excellent way to record. 
But a DI box won’t help record the sound of the amp.
Audio interfaces are in a way a basic DI box. The Scarlett has an instrument input that can be toggled to match up with different impedances. 
A cheap DI might sound worse than that. A real good DI can cost twice as much as a SM57. 

Being a person who has tried just about everything at least once it’s like this. 
Best guitar tone- Tube amp / Mike 

Next Hybrid Modelling amp/ mike

Next -Directly into interface and Guitar Sim 

Things that didn’t work very well— effects pedals directly into interface. 
Headphone output to interface, USB output to computer. 
And then my attempts at Re-Amping also didn’t work well. 

• Great Idea 1

23 hours ago, John Vere said:

One thing I forgot to mention was that interconnection off this sort often results in a ground loop hum. I remember trying the headphone output of my Blackstar amp and it was terrible. 

A DI box is only needed if you are recording both the amp with a mike and also want the direct signal from the guitar. A very common and excellent way to record. 
But a DI box won’t help record the sound of the amp.
Audio interfaces are in a way a basic DI box. The Scarlett has an instrument input that can be toggled to match up with different impedances. 
A cheap DI might sound worse than that. A real good DI can cost twice as much as a SM57. 

Being a person who has tried just about everything at least once it’s like this. 
Best guitar tone- Tube amp / Mike 

Next Hybrid Modelling amp/ mike

Next -Directly into interface and Guitar Sim 

Things that didn’t work very well— effects pedals directly into interface. 
Headphone output to interface, USB output to computer. 
And then my attempts at Re-Amping also didn’t work well. 

Well said sir ...

• Like 1