Zero volume still heard

jkoseattle

Question

I have a Midi track which sounded too loud, and like perhaps the notes were doubled, though that's sometimes hard to tell. I went to reduce the audio volume on the track, but even taking the slider all the way down I could still hear the track at close to the same volume as if it were up to the max. I assumed somehow the track had been duplicated or maybe bounced to audio or something. So I went to hunt that down, and started by muting this track, and the track muted completely. So, muting it works, but volume slider to -INF does not. Because mute works, it doesn't seem like it's related to any other track. I turned off effects for the track, made sure it was routing directly to Master, checked the adjacent track which is a different piano and it worked as expected. Also made sure notes were not doubled or something, they were not. What could be going on here?

9 answers to this question

If it's the slider of the MIDI track you are turning down, and it's not reducing the volume, you need to make sure the synth you are using responds to CC7 events.  Many do, but not all.

So the question is, which specific VSTi are you wanting to control the volume of, and have you confirmed that this synth does indeed respond to CC7 events?

Well the reason I stopped responding to this question is the problem went away. Then it came back. Then it went away again. Then it went away again. So I'm just going to initiate a new instance of this instrument. 

Well the reason I stopped responding to this question is the problem went away. Then it came back. Then it went away again. Then it went away again. So I'm just going to initiate a new instance of this instrument. 

Which, to answer, is EastWest Piano Steinway, and yeah, instrument track.

5 minutes ago, jkoseattle said:

Which, to answer, is EastWest Piano Steinway, and yeah, instrument track.

If you manually put in a CC7 event in a controller lane, does the volume of the piano change?

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

A quick Google says EastWest instruments do not respond to CC7 by default (although I'm guessing it can be MIDI Learned). It uses CC11 Expression or possibly CC1 in some cases.

Well, that explains why the MIDI track volume slider does not change volume.  These particular sliders send CC7 in its attempt to adjust volume.

In the case of an default EastWest instrument being configured as a simple instrument track in Cakewalk, you have to use the volume slider of the audio track component to affect volume.