The planned narrowing down of reactivation windows for Cakewalk by Bandlab ?

Mr No Name

Question

I have noticed that there are frequent requests for reactivation for Cakewalk by bandlab, this has to be done within a certain time window, I am assuming if this is not done Cakewalk will be unusable with no way to reactivate moving forward.  Is this the game plan to make the free version of Cakewalk obsolete and get the number of users of it to zero, in order to move to a paid version.

I can see a scenario where these requests for re-activation become more frequent and the window to do it in becomes shorter, people who don't constantly use the DAW, who might only open it up once a week of so, may get caught out by this and have their "copy " of the DAW rendered unusable and their projects lost?

Would seem like a sneaky and underhanded thing to do.

Any thoughts on this?

• Meh 1

7 answers to this question

Well these folk would have from now until it happens, so I think the time to learn oneself about the pending doom would be more than one week, at some point it must be on the users shoulders to take responsibility, especially as it is not going to be a sudden event, yes, no?

[Having said that I guess that I wouldn't agree that it was a sneaky thing to do, I don't know.

Edited by Heath Row

3 hours ago, Heath Row said:

Well these folk would have from now until it happens, so I think the time to learn oneself about the pending doom would be more than one week, at some point it must be on the users shoulders to take responsibility, especially as it is not going to be a sudden event, yes, no?

[Having said that I guess that I wouldn't agree that it was a sneaky thing to do, I don't know.

The thing is they said it would be still available to use, but I have a bad feeling about it, I've had to reactivate twice in a month, used to be only after an     update. Hopefully It will stay at once a month, but being the cynic that I am, I have a feeling they will squeeze it into shorter re-activation windows.

I have just read in another thread that it is now on a "free subscription" where you have to renew it on a monthly basis, have the people at bandlab nothing better to do than carrot and sticking people into subscription modelling?   why don't they just charge an amount of money and let people have it as it is with no more updates as they want to make it obsolete.

what will happen when people maybe are travelling or doing some other thing where they forget about daws or laptops for more than a month.

not a great strategy imo.

1 hour ago, Mr No Name said:

I have just read in another thread that it is now on a "free subscription" where you have to renew it on a monthly basis, have the people at bandlab nothing better to do than carrot and sticking people into subscription modelling?   why don't they just charge an amount of money and let people have it as it is with no more updates as they want to make it obsolete.

what will happen when people maybe are travelling or doing some other thing where they forget about daws or laptops for more than a month.

not a great strategy imo.

Would you be kind enough to post the link to the specific post where this is stated?  Thanks.  

That’s not Cakewalk. 
I haven’t seen any Activation notifications but those probably happened with the last update a few weeks ago. 
Please Don’t get Sonar and Cakewalk mixed up. 
Sonar is being constantly updated right now as well as you are reminded of the status of your lease every time you open it . 

I kinda doubt they will update CbB again now they put out that last couple of fires.
Note they really didn’t need to do that but they did because it seems they still listen to the complaining here on the forum and deal with it  

Notice how quickly they added a couple of legacy themes! 

I think all smart people have moved on and are now waiting for the pricing of Sonar or trying other DAWS too. 
Why cling to a sinking ship. Move on. 
On my test computer which I just re built from my old machine, are demos for I think 7 DAWS as well as Next  the new Sonar and Sonar Home Studio (2015)  I didn’t even bother installing CbB. 

Edited by John Vere