The above Audio/MIDI device was disconnected...

Because my projects tend to take forever to load, I leave them open when I'm done working. Every time I come back to my computer after having been away all day I get a dialog that says "The above audio/MIDI device was disconnected from your system. Would you like Cakewalk to reroute these outputs to an available device?" Click "No" to keep current settings."

I always click No and there's never been a problem, but it's annoying that I have to do this every time I sit down, plus there's a low level worry that there really is something wrong. what is this about?

1 hour ago, jkoseattle said:

Wow, thanks! All those controllers had that option checked, so I've unchecked them. What an arcane solution, I'd have never found it. (Assuming this is the solution)

Not really arcane, widely known and makes sense.
I also turn off power management on host controller and mass storage devices on my daw.

Posted (edited)

"widely known" Hmm... I might take issue with that

"makes sense" Absolutely does, but it's a little like when I was recently told "Just check the setting on the low limit pot" when what I really needed to hear was "turn that little dial on the side".

In my day job I worked in tech for 30 years, and only now, having moved to a different industry, did I realize what a different world tech people live in than everybody else, and we didn't even realize it. I'm talking aerospace engineers and the like, who are truly brilliant yet can barely open an Excel doc. 

For example, had this Cakewalk error said something like:

"The above audio/MIDI device was disconnected from your system. It's a USB device, so either something got unplugged, or else the USB controller for it was turned off in Windows to save power when your computer went to sleep. You can disable this feature in Windows in the Device Manager, (where the controllers have various different names, such as "Generic USB Hub"). Doing this will leave your Cakewalk outputs on even when the computer has gone to sleep. But if you did in fact unplug something, would you like Cakewalk to reroute these outputs to an available device?" Click "No" to keep current settings."

... that would have been better.

Edited by jkoseattle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

For example, had this Cakewalk error said something like:

"The above audio/MIDI device was disconnected from your system. It's a USB device, so either something got unplugged, or else the USB controller for it was turned off in Windows to save power when your computer went to sleep. You can disable this feature in Windows in the Device Manager, (where the controllers have various different names, such as "Generic USB Hub"). Doing this will leave your Cakewalk outputs on even when the computer has gone to sleep. But if you did in fact unplug something, would you like Cakewalk to reroute these outputs to an available device?" Click "No" to keep current settings."

... that would have been better.

That would be an error thesis, not an error message...
Lol!

Probably the age-old happenstance of HDMI audio in say, a monitor driver, which whenever the monitor goes to sleep, the driver unloads. Try a search for "HDMI audio disable" (or something along those lines) and you will find many suggestions and cases to try solutions. -I gave up on that one, simply because every time the monitor drivers get updated, the problem comes back, and It's not critical enough to reset every time - for me anyway. I just try never to allow my system to sleep while the DAW is running, and that has "fixed it" for me.

9 hours ago, JnTuneTech said:

Probably the age-old happenstance of HDMI audio in say, a monitor driver, which whenever the monitor goes to sleep, the driver unloads. Try a search for "HDMI audio disable" (or something along those lines) and you will find many suggestions and cases to try solutions. -I gave up on that one, simply because every time the monitor drivers get updated, the problem comes back, and It's not critical enough to reset every time - for me anyway. I just try never to allow my system to sleep while the DAW is running, and that has "fixed it" for me.

Disable this.  

Note: Quick way to bring up Device Manager - Start + run > "devmgmt.msc" (Should also work on Windows 11)

Disable HD Audio.jpg