Bought some handtools today for my next guitar build

Finally got meself one of those paddle-sized Japanese saws for slicing boards down the middle.

And I finally also sprung for a No.5 plane to do that all important levelling and jointing.

I thought you might like a look. It's made in Germany by

Plane 2.jpg

Plane 1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

At least it's a lot harder to accidentally cut off a finger with those tools!

(I had a friend who unfortunately did just that with a chop saw...  It was his fretting finger too.  He had to relearn how to play his guitars, but he did!)

I live in dread, Craig. At our hacklab we've got all the big limb-chopper-offer machines, which I'm dead scared of and why I got those handtools!

The one I really can't live without is the milling machine in the metalshop.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 3:10 AM, Matt Rayner said:

one I really can't live without is

A good drill press, and a good heavy table to work off of with a really good vise attached with enough space to walk around it AND to have enough headroom.

I am not asking for much!!

Nice saw and planer btw. 

I have my PartsCaster almost finished. I just ordered a new Roasted Maple neck for it. I will have to shape the headstock when I get it in.

I have been meaning to write a short post on the subject to let everyone know how my adventure turned out. Problem with that is getting the story short!! And it seems the story isn't really over yet!!

I have so many new tools as a result of this build. I have been eyeing one of those saws too. But right now I don't have a pressing need. That may change.

• Like 1

I have been fortunate enough not to need a drill press (yet anyway), but one thing I blew off for years and shouldn't have was a table router. For precision edge work (especially bindings) it has saved so much time and effort on doing things I always used to do with hand tools.

• Like 1

You guys are into deeper territory than I will ever get into on guitars, although I did get a hot glue gun and glued the electronics back into my Martin. It was either that or let it flop around inside the guitar. Time will tell if it holds. Seems pretty sturdy so far.

IMG_4398.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a lineup of all my acoustic guitars. I ommitted the bouzouki and the uke :)

From right to left- The Martin X- Sound is intimate. Not harsh. Cons- Battery and electronics are not easily accessible.No built in tuner. Pros- Small size, great all round practice guitar.

Alvarez- Sound is shiney, rounded and projects well. Cons- No pick guard.. Pros-Easy battery access, onboard tuner and EQ. Has curvature along the top to make playing it easier.

Epiphone Masterbuilt- Large dynamic sound. Pros- Construction is impeccible , tuning holds solid, nice inlays, has two outputs one magnetic and one piezo that can be balanced. Need stereo plug to use both.Onboard tuner and EQ. Cons- Uses 2032 batteries which draw fast, larger size may not be a fit for everyone.

Taylor- Koa. Sound is beautiful well balanced with nice harmonics. Pros-Easy to play. Top notch construction. Unique three pickup system that can be adjusted for each two strings.Has EQ. Cons- No built in tuner.

Of all the guitars shown, all have back bracing except for the Taylor which means it will probably be more prone to humidity. GC recommended I get case humidifiers for it. You can tell this in the way the Taylor sounds. 

IMG_4406.jpg

Edited by Tim Smith
  • Like 1

Nice guitars Tim. That Taylor really steals the show. With the Epi coming in a close second.

But that Alverez has my interest more than the others. Nice design they got there.

• Like 1

Matt, I didn't intend to derail your thread. I get exited about acoustic guitars. I admire anyone who can build one. I wish I had more time for stuff like that. There once as this guy, I think it was here who made his own guitar pickups from scratch. I admired his ability to do that. 

I think they sell kits to make the process much easier, but some like to do it from scratch. I was actually considering a kit to build a les but chickened out.

3 minutes ago, Grem said:

Nice guitars Tim. That Taylor really steals the show. With the Epi coming in a close second.

But that Alverez has my interest more than the others. Nice design they got there.

The Alvarez is patterned off of the Yairi which is a better made guitar made in Japan. They managed to copy it fairly well in a cheaper guitar in a China build. Not sure if the Yairi has that bevel or not. It's a nice addition. It was marked down at GC because they were discontinuing that model so I got it for a good price.  The Taylor, yeah. I was once a Martin man until I played it. Smooth, well rounded and buttery sounding. It has a little something I can't quite describe that just sounds better.

The Epi I thought was too big, but after playing it last night, I think I just needed to catch up to it. 

If I were going busking or taking a guitar on vacation it would probably be the old low end Martin. The Alvarez sits somewhere in the middle. I could do either with it. I did play it out once with great success, but now that I have the Taylor I don't imagine I'll be playing it as much. It would make a nice back up guitar.

I have an old Alverez that I paid $150 back in the 80's. Still plays like a dream and sounds great. The action on it has always been the best of any acoustic guitar I have.

And I love my 12 string Taylor. Like you said, it's just got something about it that I fell in love with immediately. I got it for a steal too!!

Taylor12bstring.thumb.jpg.91c0b4cc8751c74199cbb3b12deb7cef.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grem said:

I have an old Alverez that I paid $150 back in the 80's. Still plays like a dream and sounds great. The action on it has always been the best of any acoustic guitar I have.

And I love my 12 string Taylor. Like you said, it's just got something about it that I fell in love with immediately. I got it for a steal too!!

Taylor12bstring.thumb.jpg.91c0b4cc8751c74199cbb3b12deb7cef.jpg

Nice. I had one of that vintage. It was my first guitar. I wish I still had it. House fire. 

Was it made in Japan? That must be the Taylor pictured. Nice.

Edited by Tim Smith