Who has a good video on ripple editing ? -solved-

mark skinner

Question

I'm wanting to repeat a 1 bar section on all 16 tracks, and move everything after it forward in the timeline. This seems to happen all the time on a new song ..   I normally find the optimal place to cut each track,  copy and move them one at a time. I rarely ever get a pop or click. It's efficient, but time comsuming. I'm sure there is an efficient way using ripple edit, but have had no success in the past. Looked online but have'nt found anthing relevant.    Thanks ..   mark

Edited by mark skinner

7 answers to this question

I do this a lot. Often I need a count in or often after you drags audio file to the timeline to extract the tempo you then need to drag everything to be on the grid. This I have demonstrated in a few videos.
But really it’s as simple as activate ripple editing for all. Then CTRL A to select all and drag the whole project to where you want it. 
If it’s only going to be everything to the right of the cut then make sure to choose that setting in preferences editing. 
Then when you make the split everything on the right is selected automatically. 
If it was locked to the grid make sure to choose an appropriate snap setting. 
Make sure to turn off Ripple when done. 
I think I demonstrate this in a few videos , try these 

https://youtu.be/HCOt74rENRg?si=w1j0-NhWsPk1aHBG

This is Number 2 in a 3 part series but I think it’s the one that I show splitting up songs if not it’s in part 3  

https://youtu.be/EceLttY9dAw?si=IquFY_z-TUiVRpQb

• Thanks 1

do a split on the audio tracks at the time marker to get the cross fades (it's set to auto) (MIDI tracks don't need to be pre-split)

set ripple edit on

use project -> insert time/measure, ensure it's going to insert 1 (or however many) at the time selection (very important) and insert

turn ripple edit off (very important)

i find reliably selecting and dragging a bunch of tracks is an iffy proposition. esp if ripple edit is on and a simple miss on the selection can be a painful recovery.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

@John Vere I actually went to your channel first, hunting for a tutorial with ripple edit in the title. I got the answer in the link you provided once I found the correct video. All of them were informative. Bringing focus to the "right "side of a split really helped. I've been making this way harder than it is ..

@Glenn Stanton , I appreciate the suggestion. I like the insert time/measure advice. I also learned the havoc you can create by accidentely leaving the ripple edit on.    (this morning)    

Thanks ..   mark

15 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

hunting for a tutorial with ripple edit in the title

I just learned the other day that adding tags is a waste of time with You Tube. I used to spend a lot of time adding the maximum amount of tags thinking this would help people find info on the internet. I believe those videos have “Cakewalk ripple editing “ in the tags but it obviously doesn’t seem to work. Glad it helped but you gave me a good title for a future video! I’m holding off on putting out anything about Sonar just yet. I’m hoping they will make official videos like the seem to have done for the Bandlab App. . 

FWIW if I'm moving everything  in time by a few bars, I find Project->Insert Time does the job for me. 

Under the hood, it's a far simpler operation than ripple edit, so there's much less chance of something going wrong.

Another option is to use the arranger.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1