Plugin layout menu not working

Hi, I'm trying to help my sister create a user plugin folder that has select plugins in it, so it's a little more organised.

I do it on my machine and it works perfectly. I go to plugin manager, create a folder, add plugs to it and save it as a layout. I open cakewalk, go to a tracks plugin bin, insert audio effect, go to "plugin layouts" the new folder is sitting right there, as it should.

When I do it with hers, it never shows the new plugin folder. it only shows the main lists of: Category, Manufacturer and Type... no user created folders.

In her preferences, the plugin layout is set to go to the correct folder in appdata, but they never show up. We installed the most recent cakewalk update in case it had any effect. No luck. No plugin layout user folders ever show up.

* I should add, she has an older version of Sonar X1 installed but doesn't use it. I thought it could be messing things up, but as I mentioned above, the folder path seems correct: 

C:\Users\name\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

What could cause this? Or better yet, how can I fix it or trick it to work? :)  

Thanks

Jono

Edited by jono grant
added another sentence

When you first add a plug-in. The very top choice is to choose which layout to use. Sort by category, vendor etc. That is where you choose your custom layout. Be. sure you choose your layout here.

Also, you can look at Preferences folders and see where cakewalk is looking for plug-in layouts. Then you could copy that path and use file explorer to verify you have saved yours there. 

On 3/25/2024 at 5:29 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

maybe check: C:\Cakewalk Content\Common\Plug-in Menu Layouts  (or whichever drive you're using for Cakewalk Content)

Thanks. I checked. There doesn't appear to be any such folder.  It's most definitely kept in:

C:\Users\computer name\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Plug-in Menu Layouts

*This is where mine defaults to, and works fine. 

On 3/26/2024 at 5:09 AM, Max Arwood said:

When you first add a plug-in. The very top choice is to choose which layout to use. Sort by category, vendor etc. That is where you choose your custom layout. Be. sure you choose your layout here.

Also, you can look at Preferences folders and see where cakewalk is looking for plug-in layouts. Then you could copy that path and use file explorer to verify you have saved yours there. 

Yup. If you read my post, I'm aware of all that. It works for me. I'm trying to help someone else. For some reason it seems to be not looking where it should. I'm thinking because of an earlier install of a different version perhaps. 

Thanks

On 3/25/2024 at 8:00 PM, Xoo said:

From memory, if that folder is compressed (NTFS), layouts don't work.

That shoulds just strange enough to be the issue! LOL

I will check that. I should be able to change back by setting the properties of the folder i'm guessing?

I'll report back.

Cheers

J

2 hours ago, jono grant said:

will check that. I should be able to change back by setting the properties of the folder i'm guessing?

Yep.  And ensure all files in the folder are also uncompressed.