Why can't I hear anything in Cakewalk? (Not the vocals, not the metronome, and not the virtual piano) - Solved!!!

A midi file has no sound in it. It is only the data to drive a midi device ( midi keyboard or midi soft synth. ) You will need to insert a soft synth to hear the data without your keyboard connected.  You should have several to choose from on the insert menu. It is in the top bar of cakewalk.

The other option is to record the audio data from your keyboard. I usually like to record both.

45 minutes ago, Jenna said:

Hi everyone, so I'm using a USB audio device. I was able to hear perfectly from it until I disconnected my MIDI device (my keyboard). 

Once I disconnected it, not only could I no longer hear my piano, but I couldn't hear anything through cakewalk either. I was able to once again hear my piano by resetting it, but I'm not sure what to do in cakewalk.

My settings are all properly put in. I have the output and input settings on what they should be. Once I change the output to my regular computer speakers, I can hear it just fine. My actual computer settings say that I'm connected to the USB audio device and that the sound is working properly. Cakewalk also registers all audio, it's just not coming through.

Does anyone know what I can do about this? I'm sure it's a MIDI issue.

This sounds familiar.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

A midi file has no sound in it. It is only the data to drive a midi device ( midi keyboard or midi soft synth. ) You will need to insert a soft synth to hear the data without your keyboard connected.  You should have several to choose from on the insert menu. It is in the top bar of cakewalk.

The other option is to record the audio data from your keyboard. I usually like to record both.

No, I can't hear anything at all. Not my vocals, not anything I recorded without midi, nothing. Not even the metronome

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

This sounds familiar.

No, I can't hear anything at all. Not my vocals, not anything I recorded without midi, nothing. Not even the metronome

This is the 3rd thread I think you have started all with the same question and which a few people gave you your good answers to.  Are you loosing track of your original posts?? 
Did you watch the videos?  

4 minutes ago, John Vere said:

This is the 3rd thread I think you have started all with the same question and which a few people gave you your good answers to.  Are you loosing track of your original posts?? 
Did you watch the videos?  

Bro, my other questions were about not being able to hear my piano. I literally cannot hear anything at all. Absolutely nothing. That is what I'm asking 

• Jenna changed the title to ...

But you gained a reputation of abandoning your threads and not responding to help.
And yes your issue may seem different but it is all related to first learning the basics of which there’s dozens of  tutorials and the documentation. 

You are simply just struggling with basic set up and using  midi hardware as well as basic set up of audio.
We are more than happy to help but we ask that you don’t abandon threads if you are looking for assistance. That wastes our time.  

People are expected to try and help them selves by watching tutorials first and then ask for help if you’re stuck on something. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

That's because I had figured it out once I saw the comments. This a completely different issue from my other previous posts. My past post was about me not being able to hear the piano, this was about not hearing anything at all. 

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

People are expected to try and help them selves by watching tutorials first and then ask for help if you’re stuck on something. 

I did watch the videos, I still can't hear anything. I don't know why you think I'm not trying to do anything. I first thought it was an issue with my computer so I let the windows people go into my computer and check everything. My computer is working fine and all my settings are correct too. This is a different issue than my previous post. I figured that out once I had gotten the comments. Now I straight up can't hear anything at all. 

28 minutes ago, Jenna said:

I did watch the videos, I still can't hear anything. I don't know why you think I'm not trying to do anything. I first thought it was an issue with my computer so I let the windows people go into my computer and check everything. My computer is working fine and all my settings are correct too. This is a different issue than my previous post. I figured that out once I had gotten the comments. Now I straight up can't hear anything at all. 

More info will help people help you. What are you listening on, what do you use to connect audio devices to your computer?  Listing what your setup is like might help someone point you to a solution.

• Like 2

try your soundcard settings in the preferences ?

make sure your channels are routed to your master.

check you haven't got mute or solo buttons active where they shouldn't.

make sure input echo button is selected.

a few for starters.

• Like 1

Ok I apologize but at least return to a thread and just like the comments so we know you read them. Or better yet mark it as solved. Sorry I sound harsh but it is all we really ask is that if someone asks a question they somehow show a response. 

So with that out of the way yes we need more information as @Helios.Ghas said. 

My first move will be to check your master bus is set to output to what ever you speakers are connected to. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Okay, thank you I appreciate that. I will like the comments as I see them, I didn't even know you could mark something as solved, so that's my bad. 

So, first, I'm using a Alesis Multimix 4 USB FX. In this, I have my microphone and headphones plugged in. The box itself has been plugged into my Lenovo computer. According to both my settings in Cakewalk and regular settings on the computer, the output is the USB device and the input is also the USB device. This was working perfectly fine until I had plugged in the MIDI using my ydp-181 arius yahama piano. 

As we discussed, I couldn't hear anything but then because of the forum I was able to figure out that I needed a soft synth, and that worked fine for me. 

Then, once I unplugged the MIDI, the sound for everything went away. Naturally, I checked my settings, and everything looked as it should be. I did the same for the preferences in Cakewalk, still nothing. I also found I couldn't real anything on my actual, real-life piano even with the MIDI completely unplugged. I was only able to hear me clicking the physical keys when I reset my piano. 

Then, I tested changing the output to my regular computer speakers, and was able to hear everything perfectly. 

It was once I put in the headphones I couldn't hear it. 

I had the guys at Windows check it, they said everything is up to date and that the sound should be coming out.

I tried different headphones and a different wire, still nothing. 

Cakewalk reads the noise, it's just not coming through. I thought maybe completely resetting the audio would fix it since I had to reset my piano in order to hear it again, but I don't know if that's even possible to do. 

I hope that all made sense. 

• Jenna changed the title to Why can't I hear anything in Cakewalk? (Not the vocals, not the metronome, and not the virtual piano)

Could you please screen shoot your audio preferences screens->

Devices

Driver Setting

Playback and recording

Also, a screenshot of one track like vocals that you can't hear. Open it so that the input, output, volume, gain choices can be seen. Also, part of the track that shows that there is audio data on that track.

These will tell help a bunch in solving the problem.

Edited by Max Arwood
Spelling
  • Like 1

I think I found the problem, You see if you had posted this information in the very first post we would have solved this a few weeks ago.  As I said in my Video. Do Not Use ASIO4all!  Try WASAPI driver mode. If that mixer doesn't support ASIO or WASAPI    Toss it out the window. Its won't work with Cakewalk.  

Screenshot (459).png

• Like 1

you would be better with your set up using midi cables from your piano to your interface, and usb from your interface to laptop, I see your interface has no midi ins/outs ?   also your piano has no 1/4 jack output to connect to the interface?  if you have both your interface and piano connected to the laptop by usb cables it won't work?   you may have to connect the piano by usb to the laptop direct and use yamaha drivers (it should then show in your settings in cakewalk as an output - yamaha ) and use the headphone socket of the laptop?

looks like a mismatch of piano and interface possibly ?

you would be better with your set up using midi cables from your piano to your interface, and usb from your interface to laptop, I see your interface has no midi ins/outs ?   also your piano has no 1/4 jack output to connect to the interface?  if you have both your interface and piano connected to the laptop by usb cables it won't work?   you may have to connect the piano by usb to the laptop direct and use yamaha drivers (it should then show in your settings in cakewalk as an output - yamaha ) and use the headphone socket of the laptop?

or it would be better to use the headphone direct output of the piano.

1 minute ago, Mr No Name said:

That information is wrong,, You most certainly can have both a Midi and Audio device connected . A million people do this.     Did you not see my post? There is probably nothing wrong with the OP midi /USB connection as Yamaha has very good midi drivers which hopefully the OP is using and not the generic windows driver. The OP is trying to use Asio4all which we all know is doomed to failure . Alesis is one of those very few  companies that does not make recommended audio interfaces. Come to think of it?  What do they make any more that anyone would recommend ( sorry that belongs on Gear Space)  End of story.  Here's the   solution_  https://youtu.be/YcDGKuBJ2VI

• Like 1

• Jenna changed the title to Why can't I hear anything in Cakewalk? (Not the vocals, not the metronome, and not the virtual piano) - Solved!!!