Is Win10 taking an unusually long time to boot?

This has apparently been a problem for a couple years, but I just started noticing it about a week ago. When I'd do a warm boot (the normal shutdown/start procedure, not a restart) it would take two or more minutes before the task bar populated and the hourglass pointer went away. Not surprisingly, yelling at the screen had no effect whatsoever.

Fortunately, even though Windows refused to do anything else during this time, Task Manager would still come up on command. That's where I found the culprit, a process called Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser. This is a process that kicks off with every boot, and every day at 3:00 AM and every hour after if your computer's running at that time of day. There are also two mysterious "custom triggers" that the Task Scheduler won't explain nor let you customize (trigger editor says "This type of trigger cannot be edited in this tool"). 

Although you're limited in how you can customize this scheduled task, you can disable it completely. When I did so, my computer went back to its expected behavior and now comes up very quickly.

I'm always cautious when disabling Windows processes, lest there be unexpected consequences. According to Microsoft, this one "sends data to Microsoft on a regular basis in order to improve the system and improve the user experience." Whatever the frick that means. Sounds like spying. Most important, though, is that Microsoft says it's OK to kill it

So what does it actually do? Again, going back to Technet for answers, all they say about it is that it collects performance data that gets stuffed into a database over at Microsoft. It also checks for Windows 11 compatibility. Not something you need for music production, nor anything else. It's supposedly a "voluntary" opt-in program, although it's enabled by default and you have to opt out.

If you're not familiar with the Windows Task Scheduler, just google "Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser". The vast majority of results are instructions on how to kill it.

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser. This is a process that kicks off with every boot, and every day at 3:00 AM and every hour after if your computer's running at that time of day. There are also two mysterious "custom triggers" that the Task Scheduler won't explain nor let you customize (trigger editor says "This type of trigger cannot be edited in this tool"). 

i'm not seeing those here (win10), can you share a screenshot maybe?

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Not surprisingly, yelling at the screen had no effect whatsoever.

Aren't you also supposed to also click on just about everything and repeatedly press various keys as well?

I've seen people doing that.