Sonar 8.5 Producer: Is VST3 Supported?

Pretty cool software, and free to boot! I presume you've already been in contact with those folks? I see that although the product is free, support is not.

I read a bit of their user manual. It seems to reinforce my theory that the Speakerphone problem is due to the browser section of the UI not being an actual subwindow, but rather drawn directly onto the main UI graphic. You are effectively interacting with a single window, the whole plugin interface being one window. Consequently, there are no standard Windows shortcuts nor NVDA shortcuts that will let you set focus to that portion of the display.

If my hypothesis is correct - and I am not certain it is - you may have to find another product. That'll be tough, since Speakerphone is unique as far as I know. Unless AudioEase can suggest an alternate method for loading presets.

That's what I was thinking when I suggested track templates. If you load Speakerphone with a specific IR file into a track, then save the track as a track template, every time you insert that template into a project it will include the plugin and have that preset/IR preloaded. I do this with complex instruments such as Superior Drummer, so I know it works. However, I do not have 400 presets in Superior Drummer, only 3. At best, the track template workaround would only be practical if there were only a handful of Speakerphone presets that you use regularly. A crude workaround, granted.

Another possible avenue might be a VST3 wrapper, a VST2 plugin the serves as a VST3 host. I found this one, from the people who make the Sequoia DAW: https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell_v1.3.1.zip That's a direct link to the plugin. Here's a link to the KVR page: https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565924

Sorry, this post has been a long stream-of-consciousness speculation dump, but I'm shooting in the dark here, so to speak.

Unfortunately Speakerphone has no demo, so I can't check myself.  May be worse to ask developers if the new version is JUCE based (most popular framework) and if so they should not forget to check accessibility. Recent JUCE version are accessible.

As I have written before, for the host it is better leave Sonar 8.5. I know that is not easy, even for experienced people. But there is a big community which can help, most REAPER/OSARA users was working with Sonar 8.5 before.

For plug-ins, fortunately there is movement toward native accessibility. JAWS / HSC / SIBIAC scripts for inaccessible plug-ins was fighting against the wall, and once something was developed there was a new version of plug-in and the work was voided.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azslow3 said:

As I have written before, for the host it is better leave Sonar 8.5. I know that is not easy, even for experienced people. But there is a big community which can help, most REAPER/OSARA users was working with Sonar 8.5 before.

Thanks for chiming in Alexey. Every time Annabelle posts I can rarely help one iota, but it often sends me on a fact-finding stint regarding accessibility. Most resources I find are older (and reference 8.5 or Reaper), but this is the first I have seen reference to OSARA. Is that a simple add-on installation or are there any other hoops associated with getting it online? I have only used Reaper once years ago, so totally unfamiliar with the nuances of it, but admit that it never falls completely off the radar because of ReaCWP.

My concern here is for steps Annabelle should be aware of rather than just sending her down a blind path that you "know is not that easy." (No offense intended toward you in any way here).

OSARA is a REAPER add-on, it has automatic installer but can be installed manually by copy one dll into expected directory (and loading shortcuts afterward). Works with any screen reader, under Windows and OSX.

Sonar 8.5 was so popular because of CakeTalking (payed software) and JSonar (free). From what I know, developers was from the community, I mean not sighted developers with target users as testers, but other way around. Sonar X1 had completely new interface, Windows 8 also breaks several things. So, that direction is stalled long time ago.

OSARA was born as a demand to move on somewhere. Since REAPER is the only other DAW with open API (in practice with way more possibilities then Cakewalk API), the choice of the DAW was simple. The idea was to make it free and open source, also the developer (AKA the owner) of REAPER is aware the community exists (clear from the REAPER's change-logs). All that is "alive", I mean there is active REAPER developer, active OSARA developer, active community "manager" and several sighted helpers. Most people have moved away from Sonar 8.5 (from what I know, including JSonar developer). I mean, I am not sending Annabelle down the rabbit  hole, I just try to convince to take the route other have already taken (and not regret that).

Cakewalk had intention to make CbB accessible. May be some day there will be yet another attempt. There are some people which in fact use Sonar X3/CbB, after creating the project in 8.5. With XTouch Compact and NI Keyboard that kind of works. But I can't recommend that, at least at the moment.

• Like 1

Thank you. Your insight into the history of things is always insightful. The open API point I have taken notice to over the past several years. It seems that programs with open API/scripting functionality tend to have a slew of community members actively contributing to the application development, and some of the work those folks have done on their own time is truly impressive. It is always a good sign when apps have menu links to a user add-ons/scripts repository that has been developed by the community (I tend to search for this specifically anymore). Cakewalk has always had people doing similar in the background, but never quite embraced them in that manner; those tools are often littered about in the forums and easy to miss.

Someone mentioned Patchwork by Blue Cat Audio. I wonder, if I were to try this program, would I be able to save any VST3 presets as .fxb so they would be backwards compatible with earlier versions of VST?

3 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

@msmcleod could a VST3 preset be used with a VST2 plugin? perhaps if the controls for each are effectively the same but i'm not use if it's using an internal id for a given control or just the control name.

I'm pretty sure you can't. The file format is different.

However, if you're hosting a VST3 inside a VST2 plugin like Patchwork, then saving the Patchwork state as a preset should also save the state of all VST3 plugins its hosting.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 7:17 PM, bitflipper said:

the * problem is due to the * section of the UI not being an actual subwindow, but rather drawn directly onto the main UI graphic

this is so true of modern software

2 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

from Bitflipper post above ?

Another possible avenue might be a VST3 wrapper, a VST2 plugin the serves as a VST3 host. I found this one, from the people who make the Sequoia DAW: 

https://www.xlutop.com/buzz/zip/vst3shell_v1.3.1.zip

That's a direct link to the plugin.

Here's a link to the KVR page:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565924

don't click on the xlutop link, my antivirus says it contains a trojan , I should have checked it first, apologies

3 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

don't click on the xlutop link, my antivirus says it contains a trojan , I should have checked it first, apologies

I know the feeling! I accidentally put a virus on my music machine back in 2016, when I downloaded and installed what I thought was a genuine version of VS Community, a Microsoft Visual Studio program for coding. Boy do I regret doing that, and I'm still mad at myself for that mistake!

6 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I know the feeling! I accidentally put a virus on my music machine back in 2016, when I downloaded and installed what I thought was a genuine version of VS Community, a Microsoft Visual Studio program for coding. Boy do I regret doing that, and I'm still mad at myself for that mistake!

Yes, you have to be careful of these things,  there is apparently a tool from kushview that works, free also, I have no idea how it is used, looks quite complex and utilitarian,   https://github.com/kushview/Element/releases/tag/0.41.1

and no viruses attached.

from this thread

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560297&start=30

On 3/17/2024 at 12:20 AM, Mr No Name said:

Yes, you have to be careful of these things,  there is apparently a tool from kushview that works, free also, I have no idea how it is used, looks quite complex and utilitarian,   https://github.com/kushview/Element/releases/tag/0.41.1

and no viruses attached.

from this thread

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560297&start=30

I just now tried installing that software you mentioned from Kushview, and I have bad news. It freezes my machine to where I have to restart it over and over again! So I ended up uninstalling it.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...