XLN Audio Life for $89

cclarry

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone use this? Seems amazing as a 'background filler' kind of thing. I can't figure out from watching videos if the individual slices can actually be triggered via MIDI however. Guess I'll demo.

1 hour ago, jngnz said:

Anyone use this? Seems amazing as a 'background filler' kind of thing. I can't figure out from watching videos if the individual slices can actually be triggered via MIDI however. Guess I'll demo.

It's a bit pricey for my taste, so no experience here. It's too much of a toy for adults to invest 90 bucks. Got Triaz instead, so I need some time to uninstall the competition now  

• Like 1

Just a head's up... Apparently you can only have 2 computers registered to your account.  Kinda sucks because I was planning on only using this on one machine.

Have it & like it. Really depends on your genre taste/what you make, but it can turn any sound into inspiration for a track. Personally got it bc I was interested in the mobile app compatibility, and how easy it is to access recordings. Mostly enjoy low effort needed to do the recording from a phone that’s already in my pocket all day

• Like 1

Played around with this. Yeah, the AI part is not much more than a toy. 95% of the "beats" it comes up with are unusable to me, even once I selected and deselected sounds and fine tuned everything to my liking. I wish there were a "genre" or at least "style" setting, because it seems to be targeting electronic music producers for the most part with its swirly and glitchy patterns. I also noticed the AI is surprisingly bad at detecting transients properly and accidentally integrates the start of the next transient into a slice like 30% of the time. Not even exaggerating.

However, what NOT A SINGLE YouTuber mentions for some reason (?!) is it DOES map the slices to MIDI notes and you can easily drag whatever it came up with onto a MIDI track and edit it. So I'm still deciding if it's worth it just for the convenience of being able to whip out my phone and record anything and have that ready in the DAW extremely easily, while possibly getting at least some kind of starting point at least some of the time. What's speaking against it is the unfortunately but understandably short recording limit of 15 seconds and having to manually edit 30% of slices anyway.

So yeah, I guess if in doubt, don't buy? I'm new to this whole demoing before you buy thing. It's weird.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jngnz said:

I also noticed the AI is surprisingly bad at detecting transients properly

This is the major reason I doubt on AI in music production! Tell me what software does recognize transients reliable and distinct (even for drums/percussion tracks)!? If you compare the results of a couple of DAWs and plugins (Melodyne, drum replacers, ...), then you realize they're all different! As long as the developers don't get this done, AI is not more than a pipe dream IMHO!!!