Output 3 different midi tracks to separate audio tracks

I have 3 midi tracks Strings, Celesta, and Piano.  I want to bounce each of them to separate audio tracks for further mixing.

I selected the string midi track an and froze it. No problem it made an audio file of just the strings on a new track.  The problem is the other 2 midi tracks.  They freeze along with the strings.  If I hit unfreeze on the celesta and/or the piano it unfreezes the Strings.  It's like they are all tied together.

I also tried to use the track folder, but it says no audio is selected to bounce.  I thought I could bounce midi files in the Track folder. 

Any help is much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.478c3070d28d1dd8221d3132077e8248.png

They look like they are on different channels which would be correct.  If midi 1 goes to tts1’ channel 1, and tts1 output goes to (synth-audio)track 1. That should output 1 synth track from midi 1
Midi 2 to Tts channel2, tts channel 2 to synth/audio track 2  you will need 2 more copies of Ty’s synth track to output the 3 different tracks

As you put tts1 into the project it ask how many outputs do you wasn’t. Just say all. That was those missing tracks will be made for you. 

most of the time I just use channel 1 and have a midi and synth track. Thi makes it much faster to unfreeze, edit a note and refreeze. If you used a synth like Kontakt you would find yourself wanting to correct 1 note and having to wait for 32 tracks to unfreeze and re freeze. 

Easiest way use 3 copies of tts1

set channel 1 of each for your instruments

3 synth tracks 3 midi tracks  (or more)

Thanks Glenn,

I started this project from a previous project. It apparently had more than one instance of TTS-1 as there are several in the pull-down menu to select for output.  TTS-1 1, TTS-1 2, TTS-1 3, TTS-1 4.  But, only one of them work as I tried to output to them all.  The only one that works is the 1st instance TTS-1 1.  I think the others may have been deleted,  but still show up in the pull-down menus?

You're right the the 3 midi tracks are tied to the same instance of the TTS-1. I will try your suggestion, and I believe I have done that before, but for some reason I couldn't get it to work last night. I tried for hours. The problem is that all 3 midi tracks get frozen.  Mutting 2 of them does give me the one track of strings only. But, in order to freeze the next midi track I have to unfreeze the Celesta and then it unfreeze all 3 again.

Thank you for your suggestion. I will try it again this morning 🌄.  Do you know if there is a way to separate the 3 midi tracks to be independent.  I inserted a new soft synth TTS--1 with 4 multiple outputs thinking I could send my midi tracks to it, but couldn't get the midi tracks to output to any of the 4 tracks.

Thank you kindly!

Frank

To use multiple outputs on the TTS-1, you have to route the MIDI channels to the audio outputs within TTS-1 itself, as by default all MIDI channels route to the main stereo outputs.

image.png.8eb7ef4c9fba378155b5dc7021446b55.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

They look like they are on different channels which would be correct.  If midi 1 goes to tts1’ channel 1, and tts1 output goes to (synth-audio)track 1. That should output 1 synth track from midi 1
Midi 2 to Tts channel2, tts channel 2 to synth/audio track 2  you will need 2 more copies of Ty’s synth track to output the 3 different tracks

As you put tts1 into the project it ask how many outputs do you wasn’t. Just say all. That was those missing tracks will be made for you. 

most of the time I just use channel 1 and have a midi and synth track. Thi makes it much faster to unfreeze, edit a note and refreeze. If you used a synth like Kontakt you would find yourself wanting to correct 1 note and having to wait for 32 tracks to unfreeze and re freeze. 

Easiest way use 3 copies of tts1

set channel 1 of each for your instruments

3 synth tracks 3 midi tracks  (or more)

I did a work around.

1. Muted 2 of the midi tracks.

2. Frozen and Outputting the strings solo as suggested

3. I copied the frozen strings 

4. Pasted the frozen strings to the newly inserted audio track

5. Unfreeze Strings

5. Repeated Steps 1 - 5 for each of the other midi tracks, Celesta, and piano

It worked, but I still need to figure out the correct and easiest way.

Thanks for all of your help.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

To use multiple outputs on the TTS-1, you have to route the MIDI channels to the audio outputs within TTS-1 itself, as by default all MIDI channels route to the main stereo outputs.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for pointing this out to me.  I never knew about this and it has always been confusing to me. I went ahead and followed your instructions.  I had the strings working, and the Piano, but couldn't get the Celesta to output.  So I went ahead and inserted a new TTS-1 with the 4 tracks. I assigned the outputs as you directed and it worked great, prefect.

Thank you for this information.  Now i am moving on to figuring out how to quantize the midi tracks, and hopefully i won't have to post. 

Frank

Thank you all for your help! I now have a much better understanding. It still gets a but confusing at times, but thanks to this forum and the time you took to respond with your knowledge I am most excited that I can complete the song I'm working on and my album project.

One thing I still don't understand is that when I used to insert a soft synth with multiple tracks it would also insert 1 midi track and 4 of output tracks. Now I have to insert the midi track separately. 

Is that a software update or is there some setting I am missing when inserting the soft snyth TTS-1 in order to get the midi track at the same time?

Frank

On 3/3/2024 at 7:04 AM, msmcleod said:

20 hours ago, John Vere said:

If you need more info these videos are about using tts-1 as well as midi editing 

https://youtu.be/pwEMq67Zn3s?si=8i84uF3480IfxI2D

https://youtu.be/cyJUN2OdmBY?si=CAhJ2SotkpPcM6H_

Thanks Max,

I will definitely dig into these videos.

• Like 1