Cakewalk Product Center doesn't recognize non-C: drive install?

Just downloaded and installed CPC 1.0.0.051, then downloaded and installed the instruments, which were installed on my C drive.  However, Cakewalk (and related content) is installed on my D drive...

Edited by GordonCunningham

20 hours ago, GordonCunningham said:

Just downloaded and installed CPC 1.0.0.051, then downloaded and installed the instruments, which were installed on my C drive.  However, Cakewalk (and related content) is installed on my D drive...

Product Center downloads to wherever your user Downloads folder in Windows is.

The question is did you tell Cakewalk to install there or did it do this with out you choosing it. It is not advisable to install any software on a data drive. Only sound libraries and loops should be stored on alternative drives All software should be on C drive. 

The dumb thing is nowadays C drives are huge. So why would you not use it as intended. 
Also swapping out C drive is now very easy using transfer software like Samsung Magician.
So even if you presently have a small C drive it costs under $50 to upgrade to a 500 GB or about $100 to a 1 TB drive. 

Edited by John Vere

• 2 weeks later...

Almost all of my apps have been installed on a second hard drive (D:\) ever since Windows 98. It is neither right nor wrong, just personal preference. The only apps on my C:\ drive are those without an option to install elsewhere. 

On 3/2/2024 at 1:28 AM, pwal³ said:

i have a **** ton of apps on non-c drives

Me too.  My C Drive is a too-small SSD.  I do much better with my 2TB HDD and best of all, a 1TB SSD that I install large things to.

In the old days, there were installers that contained drive dependencies.  It seems that nowadays, if you tell an installer to put something elsewhere, it will work great.  Also, the Cakewalk Product Center recognizes my installation of CbB on that larger SSD.  (It's peculiar that CPC shows up as a synth instrument in CbB and SPLAT though.)

A number of default folders can actually be moved to a different drive.  I do that with Documents and Pictures.  Unfortunately, no such luck with AppData, I suppose because it is per user.  Hmm, maybe user can be moved.  That would be interesting.  (No dice. :(  )