Is It Cool To Discuss the Free OBS Studio here?

Keni

Please tell me if I should cease.

I just added OBS studio to my DAW to use for video capture of screen situations as it should be a major step up from LiCap which I had been using.

I've got it installed and working, but nervous as I didn't have a streaming site to select and it got an incomplete registration... but appears to be working fine for my current needs

With another bit of guidance I downloaded and installed the OBS ASIO driver...

I've managed to do screen captures a bit ragedly but still unable to get it to hear Cake's ASIO output. I've tried many selections. Obviously none correct or something else I have yet to learn?

Can anyone offer any guidance on this setup/situation to help me understand the workings?

Thanks!

C'mon Keni!  You know that not being cool hasn't stopped any of us from talking about whatever we want down here! 🤣

Although I have OBS, I haven't used it in the manner you're trying yet.  It's pretty easy to use though!  I'd do the usual Google searches to see what you can find.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Keni said:

Is It Cool To Discuss the Free OBS Studio here
Please tell me

We discuss all kinds of BS topics around here, this can just be considered more.... or just a different topic!! LOL!! JK

18 minutes ago, Keni said:

unable to get it to hear Cake's ASIO output

Keni, do you have and option to select an OBS input in CW Prefernces/Devices/Output Drivers?

If yes to the above is there a way to select CW as an input in OBS. Not familiar with that software at all.

I know your not a noob, you been around the block many times. But last year I was having a hard time getting Voice Meter Banana/Potato to work with CW. It was all user error in the end.

Edited by Grem
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, craigb said:

C'mon Keni!  You know that not being cool hasn't stopped any of us from talking about whatever we want down here! 🤣

Although I have OBS, I haven't used it in the manner you're trying yet.  It's pretty easy to use though!  I'd do the usual Google searches to see what you can find.

Thanks Craig...

Exactly as I have been. I’m usually good with new softwares quickly if they’re reasonably designed.

I haven’t yet found satisfactory info but also barely begun.

I can do a screen video capture and it includes the system mic by default but I’ve been unable to get it to read my audio interface even when I found and selected them as my audio source.

I'm hoping soneone can give me a simple expkanation and save me the video hunt? 😁

7 minutes ago, Grem said:

We discuss all kinds of BS topics around here, this can just be considered more.... or just a different topic!! LOL!! JK

Keni, do you have and option to select an OBS input in CW Prefernces/Devices/Output Drivers?

If yes to the above is there a way to select CW as an input in OBS. Not familiar with that software at all.

I know your not a noob, you been around the block many times. But last year I was having a hard time getting Voice Meter Banana/Potato to work with CW. It was all user error in the end.

Thanks Grem!

I don’t see any available OBS Inputs/Outputs within Preferences.

In OBS I do find an area that allows me to select my available sources/destinations as it does in Cake.

Meaning.

I have 18 i/o

8 are pairs including preamps and such from my Audiobox 1828

8 are ADAT which connect to my Soundcsape hardware when needed

2 are SPDIF

Im guessing it’s understanding the routing so that OBS is receiving the correct audio path. I’m currently blindly experimenting.

Keni, for me I had to come to realize that the software (in my case Voice Meter) needed input signal from CW out put. It completely bypassed the audio interface. Then in Voice Meter I could route/record the output from CW it was receiving, and then send to the audio interface or any other software.

To help me with this I had to go into Windows/Settings/Systems/Sound/Output and choose Voice Meter. Had to do the same with the Windows Input (right below Output setting). Once I did that Voice Meter became an option in CW and in Voice Meter CW was able to be heard finally. 

Not sure if this is the case with you or not. But give it a shot. 

I make all my tutorials with it. Started out 4 years ago fighting the audio issues. Please don’t use weird 3rd party ASIO drivers or sound management apps like voice meter and banana. That’s a rabbit hole that the Cows pooped in. 
And you don’t need to set up anything to do with streaming. Ignore that. 
The real solution is an audio interface with Loopback. Nothing else other than using a little mixer to create a physical Loopback works. 
This allows you to run Cakewalk in ASIO mode. 
In OBS audio make sure it is set up to use your ASIO interface and also use nothing but 48 sample rate for everything. 
Interfaces with Loopback show as input options in the audio settings. In my case I use Motu Loopback Mix.
I use Foobar to play my narration and then I can play from Cakewalk at same time. You can set up a few channels in OBS but I just use the one that basically captures everything from the interfaces outputs. 
I just turn down Cakewalk master bus to balance the mix. 
I rarely use live mike because I suck at that too many duhs and hmmms. But my mike is also available this way. I actually need to remember to mute it.  
So if your interface doesn’t have Loopback start shopping. 
I made a video about 2x2 interfaces and made a feature list were the ones that have Loopback show. I’ll go have a look. 

28 minutes ago, Grem said:

Keni, for me I had to come to realize that the software (in my case Voice Meter) needed input signal from CW out put. It completely bypassed the audio interface. Then in Voice Meter I could route/record the output from CW it was receiving, and then send to the audio interface or any other software.

To help me with this I had to go into Windows/Settings/Systems/Sound/Output and choose Voice Meter. Had to do the same with the Windows Input (right below Output setting). Once I did that Voice Meter became an option in CW and in Voice Meter CW was able to be heard finally. 

Not sure if this is the case with you or not. But give it a shot. 

Thanks Grem...

I've tried to follow some videos I've found... Most difficult to follow.

I did manage to get signal flowing for a moment using Reastream somehow. I haven't managed to get it back. Lost it while trying to organize and understand the setup. Has to do with using Reastream at both ends but I can't get Reastream to show in OBS' vst list. I'm gonna try manually copying the dll to the steinberg folder?

A quick look shows it’s Zoom, Focusrite and Motu all have Loopback. 
Zoom AMS24 is the least expensive and I can say I’m super pleased with mine. Next is the Focusrite Solo but they really suck at features compared to others in same price range. Then more expensive is the Motu M2 which I have the M4 so pretty good all round interfaces. I don’t know why people recommend Focusrite as when you look at what you get they are at the bottom of the check lists.