Cakewalk with EZdrummer 3 Help Please

Scott

I'm in need of assistance: I want to sent individual drums to their own track.  For example...send kick drum to track one...Snare to track two...etc.   I don't know how to do this. I've look in to it, but I'm lost.  I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.  Is this limiting me in outputs?

Thanks

Edited by Scott

when you add the EZD soft synth to the project, you can select MIDI track and a separate track for each output.

image.png.68bd4c7ab85147c42c830dafce4d9d83.png

this will give you the maximum number of outputs for EZD (16 stereo or 32 mono).

image.png.6e7b2f47298457ebbc1edf43f06fb8de.png

then in EZD you assign the instruments in the mixer section (which is limited to stereo pairs only, but you can pan the instrument to achieve "mono" L-R tracks).

image.png.629345a08e2037626a67cb335d36ff97.png

note that EZD has limited options for assignment but you'll find grouping all the kicks, and all the snares, etc should be ok. 

your IO unit is not limiting the number of EZD tracks.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1

oh, and best to rename each track so you can easily know which instrument is assigned 🙂 then select all the audio tracks and MIDI track & create a track template so you don't have to do this every time. if you don't know how to create the track template - read the handy help file where it is clearly explained. 😉 

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I'm not getting the screen you posted in the beginning. I get a screen to select a synth. I then select EZdrummer 3 and it inserts the same track as I already have for EZD 3.  

I found the screen you have at the beginning of this chat.  I used a + symbol and got through that where I added a track. How do I get each individual drum in to each track I create?

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

I found the screen you have at the beginning of this chat.  I used a + symbol and got through that where I added a track. How do I get each individual drum in to each track I create?

so you have the tracks? then follow step 3 in my explanation on assigning the mixer outputs. then name your tracks accordingly.

Please study the dialogue. Everything is right there. Don’t just use the default. You have to change to what Glenn shows in his screen shot if you use the old system or in the New Dialogue it clearly gives you options for how many tracks and stereo or mono. Both dialogues work they just look different and I feel the new one is easier to understand. 
The old dialogue shows when you use the synth rack or drag and drop from the browser. It has a box ask every time see Glenn’s screen shot look lower left. 
If that box is not checked it will insert a default set up. 

Edited by John Vere

If you already have the drums working with a single stereo output and want to send things to individual tracks, add however many instrument tracks you want, rename them, go into EZD and in the mixing, change the output number and then set each tracks input to the matching EZD output you set in the mixer. 

And be aware that each EZD output is stereo so you will want pick 1+2, 3+4, etc.  if you didn’t specify otherwise when you inserted the plug-in.

I start will all EZD going to 1+2, then change the BD to 3+4 and add a track. Then snare goes to 4+5 and a new track. That way everything else stays on 1+2 until I split it out. OH to 5+6, HH to 7+8 …

Otherwise do what others suggest and set the outputs when you insert EZD. I prefer to send everything to a stereo pair and then split them out as needed since I don’t  need or  want every instrument on its own track.