kontakt 7 problem

I'm trying to record using cinematic studio solo strings.  I have inserted four instrument tracks using Kontakt, (Kontakt 7 player) violin, violin II, viola and cello.  Now I record a track.  Play it back, nothing.  If I reload the instrument, it will work one time through and then I have to reload the instrument.  Then I have also had the problem that all the tracks set as sustain notes play as stacccato.   What am I doing wrong.  I am using version 2023 .09 and the cinematic studio solo strings was loaded on 20 dec 2023.

Q1; are you using only one instance of Kontakt with all 4 instruments loaded, or an instance of Kontakt for each instrument?

Q2; Does this happen with any other Kontakt instrument? Ex: Analog Dreams, etc.

Q3; Does this happen with any other VST NOT Kontakt based?

Q4; are all the solo strings on the same MIDI channel/track?

Edited by OutrageProductions

Thank you for your response.  I am using an instance of Kontakt for each instrument.  I don't have anu other Kontakt instruments.  It hasn't happened with other VST's other than Kontakt.  I am using individual channel/tracks for each instrument.  Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Steve Schultz said:

Thank you for your response.  I am using an instance of Kontakt for each instrument.  I don't have anu other Kontakt instruments.  It hasn't happened with other VST's other than Kontakt.  I am using individual channel/tracks for each instrument.  Thanks again.

OK. Progress (sort of). 

Now; if you don't have any other Kontakt instruments, may I suggest that you obtain some freebies like maybe THIS, so that you can try to discern if it is actually an instrument issue or a Kontakt issue or a CbB issue (which, from your answer, is highly unlikely at this point). If you are familiar with the MIDI & Audio input routing procedures in CbB (which I'm guessing work for other VSTi's) then it is probably a Kontakt issue.

If The Free Orchestra fails, then you need to submit the issue to the NI/Kontakt forum HERE.

IMHO Kontakt 7.x has still some serious issues in installation & operation. Kontakt 6 is solid as a rock.

EDIT: When ever you add a library to Kontakt, you MUST start Kontakt as Stand Alone (SAL) and rebuild/scan the library database before first use as a plugin in your DAW! Please test each instrument in SAL mode for correct articulation/operation first.

EDIT2: Please either quote fully or partially the post that you are responding to, or tag by UserName [type @outrageproductions for example] the person that you are responding to, so that we get notification that you're commenting. Otherwise, I just happened to see your response by browsing the incoming list. Makes thing go faster.

Thank you for your help.  Question, if I didn't originally add the cinematic studio solo strings in the Kontakt stand alone mode, should I uninstall and reinstall the strings?  I don't remember to be honest.  Thanks again for hanging with me on this.

Actually, the instrument library is installed via Native Access. Starting Kontakt in SAL mode allows it to find and read the library in the database. You should be able to just start Kontakt and scan the DBF and then load one of the instruments (violin for example) and test it for all the notes, articulations, etc. That will confirm if the instrument is completely & correctly installed.

If not correct, then reinstall the library using NA. Ditto with the other strings. Then we can move on.

Open a new blank project in CbB, load one instance of Kontakt with just one instrument. If it plays and you can hear it, record some midi notes into a track & see if it will play back and you can hear it.

+1 to starting Kontakt standalone to pick up new libraries, and even more so for MassiveX.  Both these plugins tend to search/build their libraries when they're started up for the first time. Because of the time this takes, it can cause DAW's to think they're unresponsive.

I've certainly seen this with MassiveX in CbB, but also Omnisphere in StudioOne.

ProjectSam releases an instrument per month. TFO1 is complete (12 instruments IIRC), TFO2 is on about #5 or #6 so far. 

You may have to enable 'legacy' instruments in NA2 for TFO1 to show up. I haven't switched to NA2 yet, still on NA1 for the rest of the month.

I do know that this months TFO2 (percussion) is only available using NA2.

I'm in the middle of a large film score and just don't need any changes or headaches until it's wrapped. 

Maybe someone else can chime in & help. @msmcleod maybe? Or @PavlovsCat?

EDIT: if you're interested in organic orchestration you could also get the entire BBC Symphonic Orchestra Discover HERE, which is also free and has a relatively small footprint. You can DL the Spitfire Audio App to get it and all of the free LABS line too.

Have your CS solo strings started to behave correctly? 

On 2/20/2024 at 4:09 PM, Steve Schultz said:

I'm trying to record using cinematic studio solo strings.  I have inserted four instrument tracks using Kontakt, (Kontakt 7 player) violin, violin II, viola and cello.  Now I record a track.  Play it back, nothing.  If I reload the instrument, it will work one time through and then I have to reload the instrument.  Then I have also had the problem that all the tracks set as sustain notes play as stacccato.   What am I doing wrong.  I am using version 2023 .09 and the cinematic studio solo strings was loaded on 20 dec 2023.

Forgive this really basic question, but when you record a track, do you see a MIDI track recorded for that track? Are you certain that you have the proper MIDI settings for each track you're recording? I'd focus on just one track and see if you can record one track and get the recorded track to play back after you've recorded it. But I'm not sure if we've established if you have successfully recorded a MIDI track. Can you confirm that you have? 

It would be worthwhile to you record your screen or even take some screenshots so we can better understand what's going on.  As you're not certain if you installed KONTAKT as a VST, it is possible that you could be playing it in standalone mode and not recording anything. 

I just started a new project.  Inserted an instrument track and selected Kontakt as the instrument.   I also selected the midisport channel 1 as the input.  The csss folder came up in the library.   I selected cello.  Set the record on for the channel,  I recorded and the midi showed up in the track.  Played back and nothing.  Set up a second track using the violin I. Set midi in to 2, recorded, midi showed up in track. Played back and nothing.  I really am sorry for being so ***** on this, but just very confused.

You have been very helpful.  Here is another question I hope you can help me with.  I record one take(just a test with a  full ensemble instrument and audio track).  Everythings fine.  I get recorded midi and recorded audio.  Now I do another take with another instrument from the CSSS library (cello) and an audio track.  I don't like the second recording so I delete the audio and midi.  Now I can record it again.  I get a midi recording but not the audio.  I have to delete the instrument and audio track in order to rerecord.  What is up with that?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.