14 year old Grandson's first song

John Vere

Wallet Blues by Kluane Gross   Jan 25 2024- https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14719703

My Grandson took up songwriting and is learning the acoustic guitar. His dad just past away a few weeks ago and we put this song together so he could play it for him as he was slipping away from us. Not exactly what you might think as appropriate, but if you knew his Dad Jason you would get it. A guy who's favorite Christmas song was Grandma Got run over by a Reindeer. Well they played lots of his favorite music that day, The Band, Allmand Brothers and the Dead. Jason was a musician himself and was a walking encyclopedia of all things connected to those bands. He only liked Country if it used a Les Paul and was corny.   

So Kluane had no idea yet about putting chords to a song and I just came up with the progression and we had something that worked within a half hour. I wanted the chords to be easy for him to play. So it's in C. 

The next day I came up with the Band in a Box idea to see what I could come up with for the style and groove. I also thought it would be a good tool for him to use is he progresses. He picked this one and I quickly figured out how to enter the chords and create an arrangement. Of course it sort of sucked so I exported as a midi file into Cakewalk and proceeded to obliterate all but the drums and there was a guitar chord track assigned to the Lounge Lizard with the Phaser turned on. But the style he picked didn't have a Pedal Steel which this song was crying out for. SO I simple went back and changed the style to one that had the pedal steel and actually learned I could drag and drop it from BiaB directly to Cakewalk. I edited the bad chords in Melodyne, thank goodness I just upgraded to the full version which does chords. 

I redid the bass with a real bass that I converted to midi and the Ample bass, I added a piano and then a acoustic guitar and the Tele lead.

I haven't polished the vocals at all yet so I apologize for the performance and lack of clarity of the lyrics. We had 1 day to get it posted. 

Here's a screen shot of the console. As I did this I was thinking it would be cool if everyone shared this shot when posting a song. I might even help troubleshoot issues with mixes. 

Screenshot(361).thumb.png.aa406cda49e75015b3233b66ac899012.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 4

John and  Kluane . . . what a great song ! . . . especially loved the main electric guitar riff that occurs throughout this piece, and the lyric . . . and what a great backstory John, in how you created this, wish I had a mentor like you when I was 14 ! . . . very well done, and much enjoyed.

• Like 1