PDC

George D

Question

8 answers to this question

Yes, as the documentation shows, the button is to "Override" PDC on "live" (input-monitored) tracks. Note also that you can only override PDC on an input-monitored track if the PDC-inducing plugin is not on that track or in its path to the output.

Edited by David Baay

4 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

I believe that the PDC button is in its normal, non-highlighted, state when it is not disabling latency compensation for live input channels. If it is highlighted it is disabling latency compensation.

image.png.559eb9f9afc5bf5f03f9fcc7dacafb8d.png

But the FX are also off when the light of the button is on....

Yes, the FX button also operates as a bypass/override. There has been a lot of virtual ink spilled over the arguably unintuitive and inconsistent labeling/lighting/functionality of these and other buttons in the Mix module. If we're lucky, the new Sonar will revise the iconography at least.

Edited by David Baay

16 hours ago, David Baay said:

Yes, the FX button also operates as a bypass/override. There has been a lot of virtual ink spilled over the arguably unintuitive and inconsistent labeling/lighting/functionality of these and other buttons in the Mix module. If we're lucky, the new Sonar will revise the iconography at least.

But you said that the PDC isn't working the same way. When the light is off then pdc is on and working. Did I understant it right?

51 minutes ago, George D said:

When the light is off then pdc is on and working. Did I understant it right?

Yes. In both cases, when the buttons are not lit/engaged, the underlying functions (PDC and FX processing) are working. When the buttons are lit/engaged, the normally working-by-default processes are bypassed/overridden.

• Thanks 1

I am solidly in the grey=off, lit up=on camp. After all, in the FX rack, lit up button means "effect active." Why invert it in other areas?

The argument against it says that the buttons should be lit up to alert the operator that something is not "as usual." This is how we think of the Mute button, after all. And yes, I finally just set it right using Theme Editor. Unfortunately, this won't be possible with the new Sonar coming out, not on its initial release and possibly never.

This is my mnemonic:

"In the racks FX are off when the button is grey

In Mix Module when its orange the FX have gone away"

It's a tribute to the famous segment of The Court Jester: