Ache

Old Joad

On 2/2/2024 at 8:12 AM, John Vere said:

I was to lazy to go get my headphones so on an iPhone speaker the mix and sound is awesome.
It makes me miss the days in the 90’s when I had the studio and real drums and we did a lot of this.  We had those little Marshall Valvestates and a huge Laney. It was a music store as well so lots of guitars on hand. 

If I had a music store to kick around in, I'd never leave🤩

Thanks for listening, it's cool that the song sounds good on iPhone speakers. for some reason it never occurred to me to check it out👍🏼

On 2/2/2024 at 10:35 AM, Grem said:

Good song with a great beat and feel!! Excellent recording. Drummer is solid and has great push/pull going on. That's hard to do. It has to come naturally! And he does it well.

Guitars sounded great, as did the bass. Excellent lead sound. Sounds really good. What kind of PV? PV speakers too? Your rhythm is good and chunky.  

Vocals out front, could hear and understand all the words!!

IF I was to offer a suggestion, the kick needs some definition. At the very least more volume in the upper, to hear that "thap".

What kind of mics? into what kind of mixer? into any comps? LOL!!!

Excellent job!

Thank you so much for posting, very cool of you. first off it was / is a very low budget project as far as recording goes.

It's a big empty room with a partition in the back where the board and Teac were.

Mic's, SM58 on my Marshall:

SM57 on the lead (It's a Pevy Mace 2x12's I thought it was 2x10 but I was wrong)

SM57 on the Bass, a Peavey Mark IV head and 2 x 15 cab. 

Shure beta 58A's for the Vocals:

Drum mic's, PGA52 on the Kick: PGA56 on the Snare: Behringer B-5 for the Hi Hat: AKG C214's on the Cymbals:

and it all went into a Mackie ProFX16v3 16-channel mixer: and I'm guessing some kind of multiband compressor was in there somewhere.

and a Teac Reel to Reel.

Here is a shot of my Marshall and Les Paul, and my Strat thrown in for kicks😎

GMF.thumb.jpg.59eb6751e0d4ef1abac7a4a7db84225c.jpg

Ah! A real Strat made by George and Leo.  I Have a G&L Tele that I got in trade for that Laney 100watt tube head I mentioned earlier. It’s been my main guitar for a long time. If you hear an electric guitar in one of my songs it’s that. Or occasionally my 1964 Guild semi hollow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Ah! A real Strat made by George and Leo.  I Have a G&L Tele that I got in trade for that Laney 100watt tube head I mentioned earlier. It’s been my main guitar for a long time. If you hear an electric guitar in one of my songs it’s that. Or occasionally my 1964 Guild semi hollow. 

Oh man, I love the Telecaster sound, I have an American Professional II, with  maple fingerboard - V-Mod II single-coil Telecaster pickups.

image.png.e415e2c04fb5d079e0336e90cbb06f9d.png

Edited by Old Joad

The guy who I traded said he didn’t like the sound of the G&L. I think it’s called a Astat. Made in Korea?  I’m not at home so forget.

It had 2 soap bar giant single coils. They are super noisy around my computer.  So I found some soap bar humbuckers but I had to router the holes a little bigger. They were quiet  but I didn’t like the sound I got. Not a Tele and not even close to a Gibson.  Then I noticed the string spacing was wrong.
Turns out why I like this guitar is it was designed with finger picking in mind and it is wider at the bridge but about 1/4”. So those replacements were wrong spacing.  
So I put the original back in at the bridge and a Jeff Beck Seymour Duncan at the neck. Sort of the opposite of your Strat. I coil tapped the Humbucker. So this gives me 5 sounds all good ones now. 
Oh and thanks for the PM 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, John Vere said:

The guy who I traded said he didn’t like the sound of the G&L. I think it’s called a Astat. Made in Korea?  I’m not at home so forget.

It had 2 soap bar giant single coils. They are super noisy around my computer.  So I found some soap bar humbuckers but I had to router the holes a little bigger. They were quiet  but I didn’t like the sound I got. Not a Tele and not even close to a Gibson.  Then I noticed the string spacing was wrong.
Turns out why I like this guitar is it was designed with finger picking in mind and it is wider at the bridge but about 1/4”. So those replacements were wrong spacing.  
So I put the original back in at the bridge and a Jeff Beck Seymour Duncan at the neck. Sort of the opposite of your Strat. I coil tapped the Humbucker. So this gives me 5 sounds all good ones now. 
Oh and thanks for the PM 

Sounds like a killer guitar🎸 So is that the guitar you play in your song besides the 64 Guild?

1 minute ago, Old Joad said:

Sounds like a killer guitar🎸 So is that the guitar you play in your song besides the 64 Guild?

Yes. My other electric is a custom built Strat. It needs better Pups because it’s to clean an quiet. I take it to gigs as a spare and on some recordings when I need the Quack. I sold off a lot of my guitar collection a few years ago. Most were pretty worn out. I mostly want them for recording and G&L covers all my favourite sounds. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi

Wow I like this - great guitars, drumming and a great song overall

Excellent stuff

Nigel

Thanks for the kind words, that means a lot coming from you🤘

We have one more song to go before it all gets torn down and we all go our separate ways for a while.

On 1/26/2024 at 7:04 PM, Old Joad said:

really more of a rockin blues

I thought it had more of a 70’s sensibility than “grunge”; but then what do I know? (defining “genre” never has been my strong suit)

<kidd gloves off>Left my like and nickel98 over at YouTube. Didn’t see any familiar “faces” in the comments; typical. What are y’all “busy”?</kidd gloves off>

👍’s 👏

t

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 8:16 AM, Tim Smith said:

Great guitar tones here. It's nice of you to help those guys out!

Thanks for listening, it's not really helping as much as it was an excuse to get together and have a jam😁

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 6:54 AM, DeeringAmps said:

I thought it had more of a 70’s sensibility than “grunge”; but then what do I know? (defining “genre” never has been my strong suit)

<kidd gloves off>Left my like and nickel98 over at YouTube. Didn’t see any familiar “faces” in the comments; typical. What are y’all “busy”?</kidd gloves off>

👍’s 👏

t

Thank you so much for listening, keep those kid gloves off👊🏼

Edited by Old Joad