XLSX - This can only end one way

XLSX Music

Here is my latest release.

Some notes about the song:
It's the first time ever that I've completed a song at 'Final Mix 1', mainly thanks to the clarity I can now get with Slate VSX headphones. These days I'm completing mixes so much quicker and slowly getting better quality with each song.

It's also the first time I've used a cowbell in a song ๐Ÿ˜‚

The song is about the impact that us humans have on the planet and how we don't always learn from past mistakes, and sometimes bury our heads in the sand to avoid hard truths. The reference to the pyramids in the video is because the song was partly inspired by some of Graham Hancocks work and theories regarding ancient civilizations.

I hope you enjoy it and any feedback is much appreciated. It's also on all the streaming services.

ย 

https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/xlsx/this-can-only-end-one-way

ย 

• Like 4

Congrats on your first mix1.
Congrats on your first use of the cowbellย  ๐Ÿ™‚
VSX are great.
Bought mine when they first came out and its great to see how the product has developed.

On the mix side (we all paint very different pictures)
Nice vocal.
Your drums a little bit woolly,ย  need more power and attack.ย  (come forward)

Well done.

Gary

5 minutes ago, garybrun said:

Congrats on your first mix1.
Congrats on your first use of the cowbellย  ๐Ÿ™‚
VSX are great.
Bought mine when they first came out and its great to see how the product has developed.

On the mix side (we all paint very different pictures)
Nice vocal.
Your drums a little bit woolly,ย  need more power and attack.ย  (come forward)

Well done.

Gary

Yeah the VSX are a total game changer for me. I'm working out of a small spare room at home and it would never be ideal for speakers.

Thanks for listening and the feedback on the mix. Glad you like the vocals as I did focus on mixing those a bit more following some common feedback on earlier projects.

I'll have a review of the drums and take any learnings forward to the next song, which is definitely going to need punchy drums. I suspect that maybe I went a bit too hard on the limited on this occasion which may have impacted the punch.

Thanks again for listening and providing feedback. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

As a words guy I think this message is strong and makes sense and I thought modern in it's approach. However I think although the vocal is clear there is a lot of 'sound wall' covering / fogging out the separate instruments, the bass isn't clear and the pads could do with a little love with EQ .. maybe too much compression caused this problem .. danno. .

Overall, and having listened to this a few times, I think you need to check your mix with a less emotional feel to you message ... But I do love the song and it's worth spending some time with the mix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Truly enjoyed the song even with the very scary and true message.ย  ย We're our own worse enemy..ย  ย  ย  ย  ย mark

Thanks for listening Mark and.im glad you enjoyed it. It was an interesting subject to write about and a bit of a departure from my normal themes.

1 hour ago, Supa Reels said:

As a words guy I think this message is strong and makes sense and I thought modern in it's approach. However I think although the vocal is clear there is a lot of 'sound wall' covering / fogging out the separate instruments, the bass isn't clear and the pads could do with a little love with EQ .. maybe too much compression caused this problem .. danno. .

Overall, and having listened to this a few times, I think you need to check your mix with a less emotional feel to you message ... But I do love the song and it's worth spending some time with the mix.

Thanks for listening and the feedback. It's worth mentioning that I'm still very much in the learning stage but I feel like my mixes are steadily getting better.

I did focus a lot on the vocals on this one following feedback from previous efforts, but maybe at the expense of other bits.

I did EQ the synths but maybe could've done something different.

Thanks again for the feedback, it all helps. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2

Love the song! Good melody, good lyrics an a rich arrangement.ย  I do agree with previous comments about the bass, and to my ear the vocals are a bit forward, but everything is subjective so take that with a grain of salt. It's a good piece!

On 2/2/2024 at 3:27 AM, Kevin Walsh said:

Love the song! Good melody, good lyrics an a rich arrangement.ย  I do agree with previous comments about the bass, and to my ear the vocals are a bit forward, but everything is subjective so take that with a grain of salt. It's a good piece!

Thank you Kevin. I'm glad you enjoyed the song. My previous releases have received feedback that the vocals weren't forward enough so I've probably over compensated on this mix. It's all practice and I feel I'm getting a little bit better each time I release a track. Thanks again for listening and you comments. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Old Joad said:

Great song, love the sound of your voice, and the back vocals are cool as well๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Thanks so much! I'm a bit self conscious about my vocals as I don't think I'm the best singer, so that's really nice to hear. Backing vocals are all me as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for listening ๐Ÿ™‚