ParametricOD Is A FREE Distortion Plugin

satya

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2024/01/22/parametricod-neural-amp/

https://www.neuralampmodeler.com/post/the-first-publicly-available-parametric-neural-amp-model

Steve Ack, the developer behind Neural Amp Modeler, released ParametricOD, a freeware guitar distortion pedal plugin for Windows and macOS.

ParametricOD uses Neural Amp Modeler as a backbone but gives a complete and accurate capture of Steve Ack’s own overdrive pedal.

ParametricOD is “a plugin that uses NAM’s parametric modeling capabilities to give you a model of my overdrive pedal that is accurate across the full range of the pedal’s knobs and switches.”

• Like 2

Played with this (the ParametricOD) for a few minutes...

My quick analysis:
Temperamental... at least with Cakewalk.  By that I mean that sometimes when I inserted it, it would be mute (GUI working but wouldn't pass any audio) then if I deleted it from project and reinserted it then it would work.
When I saved it with a project - 2 out of 3 times I tried it reloaded as mute losing its settings and I had to reinsert to get it functional again.  
CPU was pretty light (one instance running, entire project using less than 3% CPU).

Applied it to one of the guitar tracks I use for testing amp sims - not bad. 
Like an OD pedal
- on an anemic track or color to a clean guitar it can add some life
- can stack nicely with some amp sims (patch dependent of course)
- on its own: as a rock amp sim not bad, usable depending on context; but not if you're going after a metal vibe. 

My overall verdict - if they can get the bugs worked out, worth having in toolbox otherwise pass. 
As always YMMV.  

Edited by TheSteven
grammar tweaks
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, tom said:

Bugfix v0.1.3 posted as lots of people were noticing same bugs. Hopefully more stable now.

On 1/22/2024 at 2:53 PM, TheSteven said:

Played with this (the ParametricOD) for a few minutes...

My quick analysis:
Temperamental... at least with Cakewalk.  By that I mean that sometimes when I inserted it, it would be mute (GUI working but wouldn't pass any audio) then if I deleted it from project and reinserted it then it would work.
When I saved it with a project - 2 out of 3 times I tried it reloaded as mute losing its settings and I had to reinsert to get it functional again.  
CPU was pretty light (one instance running, entire project using less than 3% CPU).

Note: The Tight and Clipping switches do nothing either on the previous version or on the new release.
I forgot to mention it previously

The update fixes most of the problems I had - only issue (aside from the Tight & Clipping switches) that I had this time was when I stacked two instances of ParametricOD on same track. After saving & reopening only one of the two instances was working. I only tried this once so might have been a fluke.
Other than what I mentioned above it passes all the other tests I threw at it.