How do I edit audio by rhythmic value?

I am doing an audio project where I'm cutting into sine waves and splitting them between stereo tracks for the purposes of a type of granular synthesis.

I want to know if there is a way to select alternating 128th notes in an audio track. Otherwise I'll be doing this for days and possibly weeks on end selecting them by hand.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I want to select alternating 128th notes all at the same time and move them to another track. I already understand the snap grid unless there is some functionality there that I missed that is relevant.

Long shots, but:

Using a gate or some sort of ducking by parallel... could that silence or eliminate the notes or portions you don't want?

Or, make a pattern with volume automation, effectively muting every second note, copy-paste down the track?

2 hours ago, Herky Acuff said:

Long shots, but:

Using a gate or some sort of ducking by parallel... could that silence or eliminate the notes or portions you don't want?

Or, make a pattern with volume automation, effectively muting every second note, copy-paste down the track?

If I am understanding the OP, I thought of this volume envelope pattern usage.  Once the volume automation on a measure or two is set, to eliminate the notes not wanted to sounded on that track - copy and paste it to the end of the track.  There should be no need to delete the notes, though it will help if they are quantized.

Edited by Alan Bachman
  • Like 1

I would use two sends to route the signal to two buses. Then, put a tremolo effect on each of the bus’s effect bin.  Use a Tremolo that allows for a very specific modulation wave (In your case, 50% duty cycle a square wave set at 1/128th). 

Meldaproduction’s MtremoloMB comes to mind.  MtremoloMB’s  modulation source be any waveform you like.  This modulator can also be synced to tempo.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Promidi said:

I would use two sends to route the signal to two buses. Then, put a tremolo effect on each of the bus’s effect bin.  Use a Tremolo that allows for a very specific modulation wave (In your case, 50% duty cycle a square wave set at 1/128th). 

Meldaproduction’s MtremoloMB comes to mind.  MtremoloMB’s  modulation source be any waveform you like.  This modulator can also be synced to tempo.

I had thought of this basic idea but I did not have a way to do it. Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Scott Perry said:

However, the automation thing works better for my purposes.

Are you using a sine within a instrument? The great thing about Automation is it copies with your file. Just create the first two beats and use the shortcut Ctrl+D to speed things up. Remember to do this in the automation lanes. You can also highlight all the nodes > hold down CTRL and drag-copy to the next beat. 

Edited by Will.

Glad you got too a solution/workaround. I thought you actually needed to create individual split sample files so did not suggest non-destructive alternatives.

Reading your original post in that light, I would suggest you use Pan automation with Jump segments and send to two Aux tracks with their inputs set to the left and right sides of the Patch Point.

Edited by David Baay

1 hour ago, Scott Perry said:

I had thought of this basic idea but I did not have a way to do it. Thanks!

MTremelo is all that is required (no need for the MB variant), and is free (part of the MFreeFXBundle). If your work is to create the filter for audio (which seems the case but not sure), you can have MTremelo do that work for you, and also adjust length as desired to filter at different rates "on the fly." Below is a quick screen cap of what @Promidi was referring to. The yellow, fuchsia, and orange paths are blowouts from the main screen.

MTremelo.jpg

You can get rid of the negative cycles via either the yellow or fuchsia paths in the pic above, and edit those to your heart's content. The orange is advanced settings, and you do not want interpolation or crossfading enabled (based on the OP), but you certainly can depending on the desired result. Be sure depth is set to 100% (main screen), as well as sync to DAW and set the length to what you need (1/128th in your OP description). MTremelo alone will allow you to mash up audio at will without the need to do any additional advanced editing shenanigans.

• Thanks 1