I present the song I'm working on. (almost finished)

Nio Sebez

Hello friends, today I bring a song that is almost finished, it only needs a guitar solo and some other final adjustments.
I have not been able to improve the girl's voice (a bandmate at that time) since I have isolated it from a cassette recording from 1998. Let's see what you can tell me about the mastering or the sound in general.

A hug
Nio sebez

I am attaching the digitized mp3 of the cassette where the demo was recorded in 1998, which I used to make the cover. Also a photo of that band. I am the guitarist

5.jpg.6e4f4bbb43ebf88afc3203d4880037db.jpg

Edited by Nio Sebez
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, KSband said:

Sounds pretty good, the vocal is fine. I found the kick kind of distracting, don't love the sound of it and it might be too loud in general.

Agree with KS re the kick

You can hear some artefacts on the vocals but not drastic

Apart from that sounds pretty good

Nigel

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 2:33 AM, KSband said:

Sounds pretty good, the vocal is fine. I found the kick kind of distracting, don't love the sound of it and it might be too loud in general.

Thank you for writing your comment. I think you're both right about the kick, it sounds a lot and I'm going to touch that up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Agree with KS re the kick

You can hear some artefacts on the vocals but not drastic

Apart from that sounds pretty good

Nigel

That's right, the voice has some artifacts that I haven't been able to eliminate, it's the best I've been able to isolate the vocal track from the cassette.

Thanks for participating in the thread

On 1/13/2024 at 3:45 PM, mark skinner said:

Nio , I like the energy and the timing changes in this. Guitar playing was Nice as well.  If you could widen the mix a little without causing problems , I think it would improve the mix a little.           Enjoyed it ..  mark

Thanks mark. I'm still working on the issue and have made some changes. I have changed the VST for the bass, and I have also modified some volumes and final mix. There is still a lot left to finish it.
You can hear the update I uploaded.

A cordial greeting..
Nio

• Like 2

Nio , The mix sounds plenty wide enough now after this listen.  What is sticking out to me in this mix is the high percussion instrument that comes in right about 1/2 way thru the song. It's pretty brittle , like you need to roll some highs off of it. It comes in again close to the ending and it's a little distracting on the my normal listening headphones.

I also think the vocals could have a little more impact. They sound like they were recorded well , timing and pitch is spot on. The copy you have to work with may have been a little too compressed. I think now it's a reverb adjustment that could bring it to life.  They sound a little flat without much depth. Maybe a more agressive reverb with a fairly long pre-delay would do it .  ??   Sounds like you are willing to get this sounding as good as possible. I'm sure your former bandmates will appreciate it.             mark

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Nio , The mix sounds plenty wide enough now after this listen.  What is sticking out to me in this mix is the high percussion instrument that comes in right about 1/2 way thru the song. It's pretty brittle , like you need to roll some highs off of it. It comes in again close to the ending and it's a little distracting on the my normal listening headphones.

I also think the vocals could have a little more impact. They sound like they were recorded well , timing and pitch is spot on. The copy you have to work with may have been a little too compressed. I think now it's a reverb adjustment that could bring it to life.  They sound a little flat without much depth. Maybe a more agressive reverb with a fairly long pre-delay would do it .  ??   Sounds like you are willing to get this sounding as good as possible. I'm sure your former bandmates will appreciate it.             mark

Hello Mark, I appreciate your advice, I take note and I will let you know when the next update goes up. All the best

• Like 1