I need to record and re-record track with spacebar deleting previous track contents

Hi,

Cakewalk Version 2022.11 (Build 021, 64 bit)

I am learning guitar and using Cakewalk to record my progress.  To do this I have set up a project template and track template that suits my needs (which are very basic).  What I want to be able to do is record a guitar track against the metronome  (which I have working) but then when it is hopelessly wrong (usually) immediately restart the track by pressing spacebar twice.  I need the existing contents of the track to either be deleted or to at least be silent when I try recording again by pressing spacebar. I was sure I had this working, but now it is not even though the project and track templates are unchanged (see attached).

I am lost in the details from the manual of how comping and overwrite (I right-click on record button to access these) and have tried all combinations of (Comping/Overwrite), (Store Takes in Single Track/ Store Takes in Seperate Tracks), (CreateNew Lane/Reuse Existing Lane) (New Takes on Top) etc without joy.

To be clear, I just need to be able to restart a take from the beginning of the track and not to hear the previous take play back during record of the re-take.  I do need the metronome to re-run though. The behaviour of whether the previous data is deleted or not is really neither here nor there since I am repeating each excercise until I get through it cleanly then starting the next exercise in a new track.  Muting previous exercise tracks when I create and start the new track by manually selecting the mute button is fine.

Thanks,

Mike

GuitarSimple.cwt SimpleGuitarTrack.cwx

Not the way to do it ..  That would cause All kinds of problems using your spacebar. If you don't like a take you just recorded, press and hold CNTRL and the Z key together. This will "undo" your last recording. There is also an "undo" and "redo" button in the toolbar section (on the top of your screen). If it's not visible on your screen you can right click a blank spot in this section and add a module that has those commands.   Save the changes you make in the toolbars section in your workspace settings so it stays that way.        ms

Have you tried using the "take lanes" ?  there is a button in the bottom left of the audio track controls, give yourself a 4 count on the metronome before recording starts on every take, then you could edit the takes together to make a finished performance.

Unless you have changed the keyboard shortcuts, the space bar will start playback, not recording. The shortcuts work like this:

To record: Press R to start recording. Press space bar to stop and return to the starting point (what we call the "Now Time").

To play back: Press space bar to start playback. Press it again to stop playback.

To erase what you just recorded, you can do as Mark suggested and press CNTRL Z. You could set Overwrite mode and simply record over the original, but it will erase only the section you record over again.

• Like 1

Loop Recording will record on the next track, muting the previous track.
Then you will have several tracks from which to select the best one and delete the rest. All will play once recording is stopped and you play back the project, though.
Kinda like Take Lanes, but I like Loop Recording better.

3 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Loop Recording will record on the next track, muting the previous track.
Then you will have several tracks from which to select the best one and delete the rest. All will play once recording is stopped and you play back the project, though.
Kinda like Take Lanes, but I like Loop Recording better.

indeed.