Laura Lynch, Founding Member of The Chicks, Dead at 65 After Texas Car Crash:🤘

Old Joad

The musician, who served as an original bassist and vocalist of the group formerly known as the Dixie Chicks, died in a head-on collision Friday on a highway in Hudspeth County,

According to a release from the Texas Department of Public Safety, Lynch was pronounced dead at the scene of the Friday crash, which took place on Highway 62 around 5:45 p.m. MST. Lynch was traveling eastbound on the highway as another driver — traveling westbound — attempted to pass a vehicle on a "two-way undivided portion" of the road, striking Lynch's vehicle head on.

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, John Maar said:

And the a-hole who was passing when he shouldn't have been survived. I hope he rots in hell.

The quote says "two-way undivided portion," which could mean that it was a 2-lane road where passing is allowed on some sections. In Arkansas, where I learned to drive, such roads were not uncommon, and they used to scare the 5hit out of me even though I was a teenager (and therefore invincible). I don't know if the situation is still that way.

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

The quote says "two-way undivided portion," which could mean that it was a 2-lane road where passing is allowed on some sections. In Arkansas, where I learned to drive, such roads were not uncommon, and they used to scare the 5hit out of me even though I was a teenager (and therefore invincible). I don't know if the situation is still that way.

On such roads, passing is permitted WHEN SAFE TO DO SO. That means no oncoming traffic. I stand by my statement.

And, yes, those types of roads can be scary as hell. I have been guilty of passing when I shouldn't have. I was a teen, driving the family station wagon, with the family in it. I started a passing maneuver that I should have had plenty of time to complete, but I was young, inexperienced and didn't realize how much extra time it would take to pass because I was towing a boat with a car that had 7 people in it. An oncoming driver was forced off the road to their right. Scared the hell out of me and the rest of my family. I counted my blessings, and never made that mistake again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John Maar said:

On such roads, passing is permitted WHEN SAFE TO DO SO. That means no oncoming traffic. I stand by my statement.

And, yes, those types of roads can be scary as hell. I have been guilty of passing when I shouldn't have. I was a teen, driving the family station wagon, with the family in it. I started a passing maneuver that I should have had plenty of time to complete, but I was young, inexperienced and didn't realize how much extra time it would take to pass because I was towing a boat with a car that had 7 people in it. An oncoming driver was forced off the road to their right. Scared the hell out of me and the rest of my family. I counted my blessings, and never made that mistake again.

Sorry, I didn't mean to dispute your statement. Just speculate as to what might have led to such a tragedy. And I'm really glad to be in an area where people don't have to take that kind of chance. Poor drivers (and those in way to much hurry) abound, and the less they are asked to decide whether it's SAFE TO DO anything, the better.

As you mention, even a near miss will stick with you the rest of your life. Very glad that nobody was hurt in your incident!

• Like 1