CbB Drops Outboard MIDI Synths & Controllers

sjoens

For some reason CbB will sometimes drop connection to my outboard synths and controller and won't respond to any action from them.  Even so, CbB still sees when I turn the Controller on and off, but that's it.

A complete reboot of the system is needed to regain it.

Could be CbB, the MIDI interface, or Windows USB.

Open Device Manager, drill down to “Universal Serial Bus Controllers”, Open up Properties for anything that has “Root Hub” in the name, then in the “Power Management” tab , deselect “Allow Windows to turn off devices to save power”.

Also, if you must connect your USB devices via a USB hub, then make sure that USB hub has its own power supply. 

Definitely sounds like a MIDI driver and/or hardware connection related problem. And, I have actually experienced a few USB MIDI connection failures over the years, sometimes just the USB bus in the PC drops the connection, sometimes it's other reasons, but never something within Cakewalk itself. That is a tough one to troubleshoot sometimes. Sometimes I have had to re-allocate my USB devices, or add/remove a hub, etc.

My synths and controller are connected to an ill-fated micro lite via 5 pin din, which is connected via USB 2 thru a USB 3 jack in the laptop.  From there it's anyone's guess what happens.

I did as Promidi said and turned off everything in Devices from being turned off.  We'll see if that helps.

Edited by sjoens