Installing Cakewalk by Bandlab from stored files

norfolkmastering

Question

I wanted to get a set of CbB files stored in case I ever have to reinstall it on my Studio PC at a time when it is no longer available to download.

So I did an install on to a spare PC which didn't previously have CbB installed and I wanted to check if the downloaded files I now have will allow installation at a later date in such a scenario.

I've attached two screen shots of the downloaded files.

One screenshot shows an executable 'CakewalkSetup' which when run downloaded all the files in the 'Cakewalk' folder.

The other screenshot shows all the files in the 'Cakewalk' folder.

Can anyone help with how I might go about doing an install from these files and which app file I should run to do the install?

Cakewalk2.JPG

Cakewalk1.JPG

9 answers to this question

It kinda sucks that this is true. But they have finished using Cakewalk as a development tool and making it free forever would be a very bad business decision. It would remove the majority of potential customers for Sonar. 
They are going to be facing enough issues as it is. They obviously have been loosing users since the announcement in June.

Go read the Coffee house threads all about the switch to Studio 1. And even Creative Sauce Mike jumped ship which is bad because he has a huge following of  “free Cakewalk “ fans. 

It might have been wiser to have kept quiet about Sonar until next Year when it will actually be ready.
They could have just e mailed regular forum members to easily find willing testers who could be trusted to keep it under wraps. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

The only version of Cakewalk by Bandlab that will activate is CbB 2023.9 Build 75.

Any version prior to this will not activate as these version will try to connect to the old activation server.

The installer for CbB 2023.9 Build 75 is “Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_29.09.0.075.exe”. You can’t see the extension on your list because your Windows is configured not to display them. (On mine, they do)

You might as well delete the installers for earlier versions as they will not activate.

It will be quite a while before CbB 2023.9 Build 75 will cease to activate.  Even after Sonar is released, CbB 2023.9 Build 75 will still activate for some time yet.  This is to give people time to transition.

• Like 1

Thanks for the information.  The 'Cakewalk_by_BandLab_Setup_29.09.0.075.exe' installer worked fine.  I still had to activate the install via my Bandlab account but no doubt Cakewalk/Bandlab will be considering how to deal with that when CbB is semi retired.

Edited by norfolkmastering

I think it’s pretty clear what will happen. Down the road CbB will time out and you’ll open it and be greeted by a toast message telling you you are in demo mode and  so you won’t be able to save your work.
It will probably direct you to the web site to purchase Sonar. 

Myself I will most likely have purchased Sonar before that happens. 
But over this winter I have plans to make all my important projects future proof. 
Make a sub folder and export all audio as stems both raw and processed. 
Then save each project as a Midi file. A midi file for me represents the majority of my hard work. And they can be opened in most other DAWS. 

Edited by John Vere