How can I print arpeggiated notes into piano roll?

Istvan Karsai

Question

Dear All, I need an advise. I have the cords. I use arpeggiator (built in or built into instrument). The cakewalk plays the arpeggiated notes, but I cannot see them. I need them to be printed out as they played (not as the input to the arpeggiator), so I can move or edit some notes. I cannot figure out how to see the notes are played after the arpeggiator is engaged. Please advise. Many thanks. Istvan

18 answers to this question

Many thanks. This works. I tried this before when an instrument such as Syntmaster makes the arp, but in this case, bounce to the clip does not work. Is there any way too extract the arped notes from these cases?

Your response was very useful, because I did not know that bounce to clip will do this if I use the Cakewalk own system. Thanks!! Istvan

Many thanks. I will look into arp generators. Still I have one more question. For example,. I like what in instrument preset generates as an arp and I want to save the notes (maybe to use with another instruments and so on), but this is I do not know how. I tried (I think) what Outrage production suggested. I routed the midi track to Synthmaster. I Used synthmaster arp patch I like and I routed that to a bass guitar. Now it sound as a bass guitar but the notes are not written down into the new track. That is what I would need. Please see the screenshot. Maybe I did some mistake, I am pretty new in this.

I even click the record button. In this case I see that the midi notes are written into the bass track, but they disappear when I click stop recording. Does not matter what type of recording I am in.

Thanks

Istvan

Screenshot 2023-12-17 142317.jpg

When you insert the Synthmaster into the project, check this box (if it is available... as I said, NOT ALL instruments can do this...):

EnableMIDIoutput.png.5fc41299b6d2d7bd9b03bc330a90d905.png

Then use the output of that instrument to drive the input of another instrument, and it MAY record the arp sequence. Not guaranteed... depends on the instrument and the way it was written.

Also available here (on some instruments...):

EnableMIDIoutput2.png.6af2d99617f91e41a324769fc0b84696.png

• Like 1

Many thanks

Yes the midi out is checked and I tried with several instruments. I probably do not know how to do this properly. I am sending a short project file.  What I would like to do is that a synth apr notes goes into another track, like bass guitar and actually written down there. Once I saw the notes written as I was recording, but they erased immediately when recording stops. I do nto understand how to set this up. Istvan

arp problem.cwp

Just to confirm; you are recording on the receiving instruments MIDI track?

As I mentioned, not every VST can send MIDI out (even though the checkbox is available) due to factors involved in how the arp is implemented in the instrument [that are too deep to discuss here].

I do not, as a matter of privacy, open other folks projects, and I do not have access to the Synthmaster instrument, so I can't help any further in this situation.

Maybe someone else can pick up the ball from here...

Best of luck.

Edited by OutrageProductions
Clarification
  • Like 1

following up:

DO NOT USE AN INSTRUMENT TRACK use a MIDI track and audio track for your instruments -- much easier to troubleshoot later.

1) you have an ARP MIDI generator (synth needs to have MIDI out which it sounds like it does)
2) you set the bass guitar MIDI track input to the MIDI generator (in my example i'm using Scaler as i don't have "synthmaster")

image.png.f5b8828e3f347685c06604fa85c84f6d.png

2a) check that running the MIDI generator is triggering the MIDI bass input. all good? then #3

3) arm the bass guitar track for RECORDing (red dot)

image.png.366d4ddc9adba8a76d58ef7a379b54c4.png
4) if the generator is sync'd to start with the project - press the RECORD button up top. if it's not set to sync, then after the recording starts, start the generator.
5) stop the recording. you will see the MIDI notes in the bass guitar MIDI track. (see the image under #3)

save the project.

• Like 1

Thanks

I tried different reakor and kontakt instrument as you suggested and midi out is on. The midi still not written into the midi track, but the audio was written into the track. Also the midi for a bassguitar was kontakt midi channel 1 while the outputs and other communication was audio signals. I had no other choice on the bass guitar midi track. I do not have an audio device using only wasapi shared. I do not know if this is matter,

image.thumb.png.9efec384ed0a89ec58a359188ccec3d8.png

@Istvan Karsai In the instance that you posted (screenshot) above, I found a couple of issues that are tricky with Kontakt that may help. [If you use Komplete Kontrol as a Kontakt wrapper, there are similar issues... but let's get this working first]

First, in your Kontakt instrument you need to go to the <Instrument Options><Engine><Send MIDI to outside world><Chose Options>
Kontakt1.png.41c9ba7ff5f371461b09aa6e38da5e30.png

Remove the tick from <Script generated notes> (if exists), insert a check in <Incoming notes> and then close. (DO NOT SAVE the instrument when it prompts you later!)
image.png.3af39ddd2527b0139859226b713cecc5.png

Then, using the routing previously discussed [Kontakt instance in MIDI OUT mode, MIDI track #2 driving INST track #1, MIDI track #4 driving INST track #3, MIDI track #4 INPUT receiving from the Kontakt output, ch1] as follows;
Kontakt2.thumb.png.40f91d31ed1232a0006a980cc4f68eef.png

...then setting Echo In and Record on track #4 should allow you to see incoming notes from track #2 on track #4.

Notice that; here, I'm using the INTERNAL Arpeggiator to drive Kontakt (Factory patch) Grand Piano and can then record the arpeggiated notes directly into track #4 driving the Bass.
NOTE: (!) that the internal arp will miss the first note of the sequence if you try to start recording the arp sequence exactly at Bar 1/Beat 1, which is why I have shown the example starting at Bar 2, which is a good idea anyway with all projects IMO. Place the playback head (vertical cursor) at Bar 1, start record, and you should get results similar to mine above.

There are too many quirks with Kontakt and the Internal Arp for me to cover here, but this should work.
Driving from another instrument may be similar, but YMMV.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 8:01 AM, Istvan Karsai said:

Dear All, I need an advise. I have the cords. I use arpeggiator (built in or built into instrument). The cakewalk plays the arpeggiated notes, but I cannot see them. I need them to be printed out as they played (not as the input to the arpeggiator), so I can move or edit some notes. I cannot figure out how to see the notes are played after the arpeggiator is engaged. Please advise. Many thanks. Istvan

Hi Istvan,

I think I found a solution to your dilemma.  At the time of inserting Synthmaster into your project, choose MIDI Source and First Synth Audio Out along with checking the Enable MIDI Output box:

image.thumb.png.956fdd9c0be49363ca5b4e3508b46a07.png

In the synth property page, click on ARP/SEQ tab and click the MIDI Output option to On (circled in yellow):

image.thumb.png.63e35ef1a1a23ee94e00548aca8d2541.png

You can close the synth propery page now.

Then Insert a MIDI track into your project. In the Input of the MIDI track, select All inputs:

image.thumb.png.eef95bcc4e1d171bc79e2e01743c02cf.png

Make sure you click on Input Echo in the Synthmaster MIDI track, Arm both MIDI tracks and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you have any difficulty.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 2

Dear Outrage production.

Many thanks for your kind help. It is working as you suggested. There are 2 problems: 

-When I try to insert another Kontakt instrument there will be an error msg that  the Kontakt is improperly installed. If I change back the option setup it will still come back the error msg and I have to insert another instrument and replace it with Kontakt. Strange but doable

-the other issue is it seems this is only works with the cakewalk internal arp (see record 3).

- for Kontakt 7.2 I used instrument modular icons with adriatic wave patch the same way. Here the instrument have their own sequencer.  However as you see the recording resulted only the original notes not the arpeggiated ones.

Many thanks again!!

arp.thumb.jpg.78059581b1e5e9bf7fb361e4da2e0c3b.jpg

Dear Teknot.

Many thanks for your suggestion. I tried your steps. There is a problem that I have SM player only, but the vst3 roll down menu shows midi output is on, I had no option to set as you show in the picture.

All other things I followed and it did not work. As you see nothing is written into the string section midi track. Maybe the failure is due tot that I have only a player or I made some mistake in the routing. Thanks anyway! Istvan

image.thumb.png.3959db3381ffa9335e0fc28efaaaaa6e.png