8dio Vintage Keyboard Bundle was $298 now $48

Craig N

Some deeply sampled keyboards. Seems there's very few videos or written opinions about these, perhaps as they've historically been so expensive.

https://8dio.com/products/studio-vintage-series-all-keyboard-bundle-for-kontakt-vst-au-aax?variant=41310046290120

Kontakt VST / AU / AAX (full version required)

Vintage Hammond Organ,

CP70 Electric Piano,

Studio D6 Clavinet, 

Rhodes 54 Piano,

Wurlitzer 200A

Individually these are$18 each down from $98.

Anyone got any experience with these?

• Like 5

After watching a video on the Wurlitzer I'm starting to think these are likely to suffer from the same problem as other 8dio Kontakt libraries I've bought, which is all the articulations require manual use, and that means you can't really just play it the way you can most other libraries. You have to program it in. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems with other libraries they just figure out what articulations need to be played based on the velocity and the length of the notes etc. 

1 hour ago, Craig N said:

After watching a video on the Wurlitzer I'm starting to think these are likely to suffer from the same problem as other 8dio Kontakt libraries I've bought, which is all the articulations require manual use, and that means you can't really just play it the way you can most other libraries. You have to program it in. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems with other libraries they just figure out what articulations need to be played based on the velocity and the length of the notes etc. 

Someone made a post on this collection in the forum last week and praised two of the included libraries as his favorite electric pianos.  I'm in the car now on my mobile (parked in a lot),  but I'll try to find the thread later.  

As far as what you're describing,  the great deal of articulations, that primarily applies to string libraries, not the pianos / keyboards or tuned percussion and greatly reflects their aiming those libraries at pro users as opposed to people like you and me who want scripts to it all dead simple. I admit, I went through years of piano and organ lessons (ad drums too, but it's not relevant to this point) and I don't have a clue about the various names of string articulations in pro string libraries -- I've turned to my wife, who played viola as a kid.  But the keyboard libraries are just like any other keyboard libraries. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

I found the thread and it was @Peter Hintze who posted that he owns the 8Dio Rhodes and Wurli libraries (I own probably 50 8Dio and SoundPaint libraries, but I don't own any of these 8Dio libraries) and their his favorite Wurli and Rhodes libraries. Peter, if you're around and wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on Craig's questions above. My take is that strings, guitars and brass tend to be highly scripted libraries but keyboards, drums, percussion,  tuned percussion and organs tend to have very little scripting. But you own some of those libraries,  so I thought you could provide more specific insights and opinions. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Thanks 1

On a related note, I was just talking to my son about two of his friends he's rooming with in college next year. I said,  "I know your one friend, Matthew,  but I can't recall your other friend's name." 

My son's reply, "His name is Peter, dad. Peter. " 

My name is Peter. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, mibby said:

Did he finish it off with "you're such a boomer!" ?   😁

No, it's implied whatever I say. Especially if we talk about music. To him, rock is Boomer music. 

I'm in between Boomer and Gen X. Some researchers put me in Gen X, others as a Boomer.  I actually even did an acapella rap track collab to impress my son recently. Although I did get feedback that I sound like a rock band trying to do rap, which probably is accurate. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I found the thread and it was @Peter Hintze who posted that he owns the 8Dio Rhodes and Wurli libraries (I own probably 50 8Dio and SoundPaint libraries, but I don't own any of these 8Dio libraries) and their his favorite Wurli and Rhodes libraries. Peter, if you're around and wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on Craig's questions above. My take is that strings, guitars and brass tend to be highly scripted libraries but keyboards, drums, percussion,  tuned percussion and organs tend to have very little scripting. But you own some of those libraries,  so I thought you could provide more specific insights and opinions. 

Hi, yes, for these libraries articulations don't matter so much I would say. What matters to me are different mic positions and most of all the amount of velocity layers and the overall recording quality. And the Rhodes and Wurlitzer are very good in this regard. I compared a lot of libraries and they are my goto libraries when I record.. you can have a clean sound or a sound where it feels like is has been recorded in the next door garage. 

very versatile and playable. 

Hammond is ok, but not very versatile. and it's scripting is resource intensive since there are too many voices triggered in my oppinion. 

the other two I have not tried yet. 

Edited by Peter Hintze
  • Thanks 2

PS. for 48 EUR you cant go wrong. Even the Hammond is my goto Hammond, I haven't heard a better one for the standard Hammond sound.. I guess it would be the same for the Clavinet and the CP70.. 

5 goto Pianos.. IMO I won't ever need another one except of course recording the originals.. but then you would need to record it very well.. ;)

and I like that they have a nice instrument specific GUI, not the horrific generic GUI that later 8dio libraries have. 

Edited by Peter Hintze
  • Like 1

Thanks Peter, that's good enough for me. I figure at 36 for the Rhodes and Wurly or 48 for the bundle I would be mad not to get the bundle.

It came about due to a current obsession with the CP70/CP80 sound but some comments on the 8dio YouTube demo of the CP70 suggested it had some out of tune notes, so I don't have my hopes up with that one. But for 12 I can take the risk.

Fortunately I upgraded PC earlier this year so SSD space is not currently an issue.

I decided to upgrade after adding up how much I'd spent on plugins and libraries and Daws. I was shocked. It made no sense to be using an 8 year old PC to save a few bucks. 

• Like 1