Global CMDs (3 important missing)

Astraios

For years I've been wondering about the three important, missing commands in 'Global Commands',
which are:

- Show/hide Clip Properties Inspector --SHIFT+I
- Show/hide Track Properties Inspector --CTRL+SHIFT+I
- Show/hide ProChannel --CTRL+I.

Have I missed something, or are they actually forgotten?
Okay, they should be found in the 'Keyboard Editor'  (Preferences - Customization) under 'Global Commands'...

Thank you for your advices

Edited by Astraios

5 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

You can find show / hide pro channel under the area for Console View

I haven't looked for the others 

Thx, but this CMD acts something else - it shows/hides the ProChannel in the module section of console.

11 hours ago, Astraios said:

For years I've been wondering about the three important, missing commands in 'Global Commands',
which are:

Okay, they should be found in the 'Keyboard Editor'  (Preferences - Customization) under 'Global Commands'...

The same applies to:

Global Write Automation off -- F12

Global Read Automation on/off -- CTRL+F12

I can't find it in Keyboard Shortcuts (Customization) - Do you?

All CMDs - Binding Editor - Okt-23.ods

Edited by Astraios

20 minutes ago, Astraios said:

The same applies to:

Global Write Automation off -- F12

Global Read Automation on/off -- CTRL+F12

I can't find it in Keyboard Shortcuts (Customization) - Do you?

All CMDs - Binding Editor - Okt-23.ods 35.39 kB · 0 downloads

The synchronization between the current shortcut list and the commands in
keyboard-shortcut-editor has been lagging behind for years.
In many cases it is really difficult to understand the meaning of the commands...

e.g.: F12 = Clear all automation write enables || Global Write Automation off

Edited by Astraios

On 11/5/2023 at 11:37 AM, Astraios said:

which are:

I have to add, that the commands are there (in the grey field), but not as text modules in the list...

I suspect that if the Key Commands that you question are NOT bound to the factory defaults, that you may have, at some point in time, hit the <Zap All> button, which erases the supplied default bindings from SONAR 5 onwards {exceptions being the ones marked RSVD}.
This shows that they are all still bound in any one of the standard SONAR Keybinding sets that were shipped with the program since SONAR 7 onwards.

Astraiosissue.jpg.74c4ccb6204e7da3829f4b27a47bc5f0.jpg

I concur with you that the functions are not available to re-bind in the verbose function list (which, in this instance, could be an issue), but you should have at least the [SONAR Default Key Assignments.kbn] and [SONAR Legacy Key Assignments.kbn] stored in your C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Keyboard Binding Sets directory, from which you could restore the defaults, then modify as desired, and save under a custom name. I think that there should be a way to edit the file offline to at least mark some of the unrecoverable bindings as RSVD.

I basically started with the SONAR 7 default set and have modified to fit my workflow overtime, and now make regular and timely backups of that file.

I will attach the default files here in case you don't have them.

SONAR Default Key Assignments.zip

Those of us that are road warriors and users of CW since 1987 know that there have been many things overlooked, but I've found very few that I deemed "mission critical", and have always managed to find a suitable workaround.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your detailed answer. Cool, I'm a user since 1998...

I'm somewhat familiar with the CbBL-Shortcuts. I think it's a fantastic feature of CbBL, but unfortunately it's pretty neglected

Workaround to disable all Shortcuts set by Cakewalk in default mode - YouTube

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7dP6LziOjk

On 11/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, Astraios said:

1)  CTRL+SHIFT+UP ARROW

Decrease current track height           ----  in actual Shortcutlist
Zoom out Current Track - Vertical   ----  in Keyboard Editor

2)  ALT + S

Solo/unsolo current track  ----  in actual Shortcutlist
Solo all selected Tracks        ----  in Keyboard Editor

This is not a constructive communication 🙃 There seems to be a internal 'Cakewalk Language'

Yeah, sure, who cares? But if
you want to assign the shortcuts yourself the way you want...
You'll be in trouble!

Again: if you start with and use one of the default Keybinding files, modify it to your needs, and save it under a custom name (and don't EVER clik the <Zap All> button, this is not really a problem. Unless, of course, you find a desperate need to re-bind them to another key combination. 

BTW, complaining about anything that doesn't work in the existing version of the SW is a moot point, as it is slated to be deprecated in the near future anyway. 

May want to wait until the new paid version of Sonar is released and make notes then for the bakers to examine and determine if modification is feasible. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 11/7/2023 at 6:49 PM, OutrageProductions said:

BTW, complaining about anything that doesn't work in the existing version of the SW is a moot point, as it is slated to be deprecated in the near future anyway. 

May want to wait until the new paid version of Sonar is released and make notes then for the bakers to examine and determine if modification is feasible. 

Hm, maybe, but...        - it didn't happen under Roland-Times - it didn't happen under Gibson-Times - and you know what I guess: it maight also not happen under Bandlab-Times... 🤨

It's not so much that I'm complaining, it's more that I'm surprised at the laziness of users. Looks like controlling the program isn't the biggest concern.

The same in FL Studio... 🙃 

On 11/5/2023 at 9:07 PM, Astraios said:

which are:

I tried all of those here and they all work as above.  (PC as per sig)

Don’t forget that, by default, workspaces can have keybindings that are specific to that workspace. 

Personally, keybindings is one item that I tell workspaces not to load.  I prefer (and use) global keybindings. I have many custom keybindings and when I make change, I do an export to a KBN file.

I also make a regular reg file to backup up my keybindings.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Promidi said:

I also make a regular reg file to backup up my keybindings.

Thank you for your advice - Good to read that I'm not the only one tinkering with the shortcut editor... 🫡

Just to show what enormous effort and how much time some Cakewalk users 
spend to shed light on the darkness of complicated DAW programming.
If you like, please take a look at my YouTube clip:

"Workaround to disable all Shortcuts set by Cakewalk in default mode"

It's more or less useless stuff, but at least it's interesting