[SOLVED] Melodyne RELIABLE Audio to MIDI conversion?

sadicus

Question

Project 48Hz 24 bit
1 bar of Guitar chord audio drag/doped  to a MIDI track: Melodyne Automatic Conversion = YES
Cakewalk locks up.

this is a consistent issue.

What is a more reliable way to convert Recorded Audio to MIDI in Cakewalk?

1) Make Sure Melodyne Standalone has a proper default set before converting inside Cakewalk.  Set Default to Automatic or Melodic, depending on the type of audio,

Edited by sadicus

5 answers to this question

maybe troubleshoot the Melodyne issue? i have the studio version and multiple tracks with polyphonic instruments converted to MIDI - no issues over the last 4-5 years.

image.png.e4f778477deaed927b2dd0277297e433.png

so maybe there is some settings (like A/V exceptions? separation folder permissions?) which are causing it?

one note - i'm running 44.1/24 and just noticed you have 48/24 - i've done 48/24 and used Melodyne without issue but it's just one thing to check - alignment of all devices and software to use 48/24. shouldn't impact it but also worth checking.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

IIRC the last time this happened to me was due to a default algorithm not being set within Melodyne.

I can't remember if I had to open Melodyne as a standalone and pick it there, or create a region FX on an audio file to pick it.  Once the default had been set, everything was fine.

I only had to do this in Melodyne 4 however.

AFAIK if you're using Melodyne 5, Cakewalk will prompt you as to which algorithm to use.

• Like 1

maybe troubleshoot the Melodyne issue?

Hey Great Idea! why not ask that very question on a forum dedicated to answering such questions lol
glad it works for you. Do you mean selecting a different Algorithm?  How does one troubleshoot the Melodyne issue?
Seriously tho, it could be in the "Automatic" part of Melodyne Studio 5.3.1 , Do you use that ? (I think its the default)
This happens with very simple (1 track of audio) projects, no Effects, dry recorded guitar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTS
Testing this in Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018 Standalone Results

SOURCE File: 44.1Hz 16Bit convert to MIDI.wav
Default MIDI Exports 3 MIDI files:

1. convert to MIDI.mid
  2. New Track.mid
  3. Untitled.tempo.mid

Ok just checked the default in M5 standalone was "Purcussion"
so Changed it to Automatic and will try setting the defaults and see results ~ Thanks

@msmcleod so far so good, ~ thank you

Edited by sadicus
  • Like 1

I am always prompted for which algorithm I want and it is better not to use automatic in my experience. 
90% of the time it works perfectly as expected.
I find with guitar chords it’s better to feed it short clips. It barfs on whole 3 minute tracks. 

Most always works for bass. But editing the results is always required. 
Today I tried a simple snare track. Real snare, peaks at around-6db. 
It created a midi track with a zillion notes all wild velocities. Huge mess. Tried 3 times.
That was the percussion setting. 
Then I tried drum replacer and it was just fine. 

• Like 2