Nile Rodgers & CHIC: Tiny Desk Concert

pwal³

1 hour ago, pwal said:

not defending him, i agree with you, but it's not always about the riff, sometimes it's about the groove 🤪

It's not all about Am then?  I think someone here will disagree with you there! 😆

(But, he's a bass player, so just pay for the pizza he delivered and send him on his way! 😜 )

Edited by craigb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, pwal said:

tbf, most mainstream/successful music product is formulaic 🤷‍♂️

Very true in terms of structure and I'm quite happy with a standard 3.5 minute "pop" song, but if I can make them at least sound a bit different to the last one, I'm pretty sure that Nile could, so I just wish he would surprise more.

47 minutes ago, paulo said:

Very true in terms of structure and I'm quite happy with a standard 3.5 minute "pop" song, but if I can make them at least sound a bit different to the last one, I'm pretty sure that Nile could, so I just wish he would surprise more.

tbf, "metal", "country", "grunge", "disco", "electronic", "industrial", "reggae", etc, all genres are formulaic in some way - in the sense that you have to invest some time before you notice the difference - not just structure, but tone, instruments used, lyrical themes...

it's the artists whose albums (songs even) differ to their previous, but we're very short of those artists because the labels can't deal with them ("unmarketable"), unless it's someone like harry styles who's sold on his image and has 800 "producers" on every track

there are very few artists who aren't formulaic and also successful

(/imho of course)

58 minutes ago, paulo said:

Nile could, so I just wish he would surprise more

while he did engage in plenty of interesting collaborations back in the day, he's an old guy these days, none of the old guys are changing what got them there, they're all just enjoying themselves, as they should :)

15 minutes ago, pwal said:

"reggae"

Don't get me started on that one, lol ! To me all of it is like one very long song.

13 minutes ago, pwal said:

while he did engage in plenty of interesting collaborations back in the day, he's an old guy these days, none of the old guys are changing what got them there, they're all just enjoying themselves, as they should :)

Yeah, I wasn't really talking about what he's doing now, he's pretty much proved himself at this stage and being of the don't fix what isn't broken persuasion I should really be applauding him on the mileage he's managed to get out of that one thing.

Nile Rogers is a huge influence on me. His playing and approach to pop music and what he brings with he from US R&B music genres. I have the Chic box set and listen to them a lot. They were quite the gem from the  70s era. But I gotta say, the records sound much better than his live performances with Chic in the present day. Once Edwards and Thompson passed away, its not really the same vibe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Nile Rogers is a huge influence on me. His playing and approach to pop music and what he brings with he from US R&B music genres. I have the Chic box set and listen to them a lot. They were quite the gem from the  70s era. But I gotta say, the records sound much better than his live performances with Chic in the present day. Once Edwards and Thompson passed away, its not really the same vibe.

yep, same for other older band-with-dying members, but i won't deny him his funk @ 71