Bit depth question

Max Arwood

3 minutes ago, whoisp said:

On a busy project i might bounce project and automation down to one track so i can track vocals.

Common practice for years! Given the speed and power of “modern” hardware it “shouldn’t” be necessary, but troubleshooting “issues” is a buzz killer for me. Tracking vocals and guitars, it just “makes sense”, for me. 

t

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Common practice for years! Given the speed and power of “modern” hardware it “shouldn’t” be necessary, but troubleshooting “issues” is a buzz killer for me. Tracking vocals and guitars, it just “makes sense”, for me. 

t

100% with you, same for guitar an bass. Doesn't matter how great our systems are, loads of tracks, automation, fx and plugins can eat engine load and processing.  Some plugins are very naughty haha 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 8:19 PM, DeeringAmps said:

Yes. And since on Zoom's website it looked to me like there is no "user" way to control preamp gain, I surmise (as you did) that they are "burning in" some kind of automatic gain control in front of the ADC.
I'll handle the compression/limiting and gain staging "Thank you very much!"

Originally  I have also thought there is some "auto gain control", but that is complicated.

So it seems like used approach is way simpler, this one from Tascam, but I think Zoom use the same:

portacapture_x6_w_dual_adc.jpg

so two ADCs with fixed gains, merging the results using digital math.

• Thanks 1