best way / Cable to run headphones through a wall to another room?

Max Arwood

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

Wireless.

This will need to be non Bluetooth.  And possibly between the guitar and the headphones this could cost $500. Proper Wireless is not cheap. Avoid anything that is as it will be disappointing sound quality.  

Hardwire is for the most part dirt cheap. 
It can be  as simple as figuring out how far it is and making a 3/4” hole in the wall. Then use long enough cable to go directly to the interface.  

In my original studio I bought these metal wall plates that were sold with either a pair of XLR or 1/4” jacks. 
Some I had a both XLR and then a 1/4” TRS that I could use for headphones or Balanced amp outputs. 
I had these in the isolated Booths an a few scattered around the main room. 
Those were run to the control room using bulk Beldon cable. This was all done during construction. 
I still have the box of cable and a bunch of the wall plates. 

If there’s an operator in the control room this is fine. But if you are by yourself then you could actually bring the audio interface into the other room and use a long enough USB cable.  But then you need control of Cakewalk too. 

For headphone extension I just buy off Amazon and have had good luck with the cheaper stuff.  I just buy the 1/8” ones as most of my headphones these days can use both. 

For guitar if the run is more than 20’ you might want a DI box and run XLR. 

• Like 2

Take a look at shielded CAT 6 network cable - it's way cheaper than audio cable, and performs just as well if not better ( it has to cope with far higher frequencies with zero interference).

If you share a ground, you can pass 4 balanced signals through a CAT 6 cable at a fraction of the price of audio cable.

Sooner or later the industry will catch on to this and hike up the price accordingly!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1