Custom Themes 2023 update

mark skinner

Hello , I've read through all the changes in the 2023 update , and I have'nt seen anything related to custom themes. After installing  , I'm now getting an uncompatable theme warning.  It said continuing to use it may cause proplems in Cakewalk. It did give me the option to try and continue using it. I have read the changes in themes (or editor) would take place in the new Sonar release instead of this 2023 maint. update. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this , and if I am now needing stop using the  "Scook Mercury light green" theme I've been using since it came out.      Thanks ..  Scook                       mark

Edited by mark skinner

I use that theme on 3 computers and it still works fine. 
Sadly Scook has not logged on here since early September so I hope he’s alright. 

@msmcleod might know how to resolve theme issues. They definitely didn’t change anything. 

We are told there’s not going to be a theme editor for a while after Sonar is released. Guess it’s because of the major overhaul to the graphics.  

• Thanks 1

@John Vere Thanks. I'll try changing it back and see If I run into anything. I Love this theme. I navigated to the "core" folder and Scooks theme was the only one in it.  ??   I was probably a couple of updates behind (doing offline authorization) but this was the first time I've had problems. I also could not install the update from within CbB ,  and had to go to Bandlab assistant to get it installed. I kept getting a connection error.  I downloaded it from the Bandlab Assistant without a problem . This is even though the documentation says it no longer works. I now see why so many "newcomers" have problems installing and authorising. It's worth the effort when you get it done , but it should be easier.

As usual , it's probably something I've done , or problems on my system .    Thanks ..  mark

Edited by mark skinner

I edited the OP to include it was the "Mercury" Light green theme no longer compatable. I'm sure there were more changes "under the hood" that were in this update that were not reported in the documentation . They were probably  just not relevent to the average user.  Such as .. first time getting a notice about Win 7 no longer being supported. 

I can make some color changes in prefrences  and get close to what is comfortable for me. I might as well get acclimated to it now before the Sonar release. I probably should have posted this in the 2023 update remarks section  but , it seemed after reading All of it , it wasn't the proper place to get a direct answer.  Thanks ..     mark

Edited by mark skinner

• 2 months later...

New to CLB, wondering if the Theme Editor can enlarge the text for markers in the timeline? I'm going to be using CLB to run midi sequences live on gigs. In the old Cakewalk from 25 years ago, marker text was clearly visible.  In the new version, it's tiny. 

If you want larger use the Arranger track. You can have more than one Arranger track. I often put chords in it. You can use it for lyrics as well. You just have to set the zoom just so. 
Cakewalk Next has a lyrics track that looks like the Arranger. Then it can use a drag and drop list using a dedicated interface for text files. Pretty cool. I’m hoping that it is also part of the new Sonar. 

2 hours ago, Duncan Stitt said:

New to CLB, wondering if the Theme Editor can enlarge the text for markers in the timeline?

The CbB Theme Editor cannot enlarge the text for markers in the timeline. 

However, you can change the colours.  Preferences - Customization - Colours (Advanced).  The exact name of the colour you’re after is “Markers”

The Arranger track is great! It'll be an extra step - I work on a Mac with Digital Performer and then transfer the midi files (with markers) to Cakewalk - but it'll really help with making sure I know where the arrangement is going on new songs.