Larry T.

Hi All. Here is the latest piece called "Savanna at Night". All comments, questions and critiques appreciated🎶🎶🎶🎶

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/savanna-at-night

savanna 480x267.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, live acoustic guitar, live electric guitar, direct injected basses, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, SI Drums by CbB effects

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Edited by Larry T.
  • Like 4

Larry , Nice relaxed and smooth.  I do think the bass track distracted from the mood. Was it doubled with harmony ?  I think if you could get it EQ'd and sitting more in the pocket , it would make a Big difference in the overall sound.

That being said ..  I Really did enjoy it    mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 1:28 PM, hsmusic said:

Sounded nice in my cans, gtrs & cool motif @1:05, I could hear it being used more for the hook. Enjoyed it.

Thanks, really appreciate the listen and comments. I wasn't really aiming for this piece to be a song with a hook, intro, outro. I see this as a songscape, a combination of a song and a soundscape at this time. I do think it could evolve into the classic song format, though, with more work🎶🎶🎶🎶 

18 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Larry , Nice relaxed and smooth.  I do think the bass track distracted from the mood. Was it doubled with harmony ?  I think if you could get it EQ'd and sitting more in the pocket , it would make a Big difference in the overall sound.

That being said ..  I Really did enjoy it    mark

Thanks mark, appreciate the listen and comments.

Yes, I did two basses, one playing regular positions, the other playing higher up the neck an octave higher. I mixed them together in various volumes throughout the piece varying from no mix at all to various levels creating a wider and fatter tone as I thought befitted the section they were being heard🎶🎶🎶🎶

4 hours ago, KSband said:

I liked the groove but the bass sounds kind of thin and out of tune. Was it a real bass, are you using a amp or DI?

Thanks for the listen.

I used two basses both tuned via my trusty snark+ tuner. One bass was played in standard positions, the other an octave up the neck, then mixed them together throughout the piece at various volumes. The thin bass sound is good hearing on your part as I recorded the basses via direct injection without any VST added (amps, cabinets or bass models), just used EQ'ing, auxiliary tracks and mixing the two octaves together to create a fatter tone/effect🎶🎶🎶🎶

4 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Sounds like a nice groove, only listening on my DT 100's mix works on them.

Thanks Wookiee.  I am happy with the groove on this one😀 To my ears the percussion and basses fit together really well🎶🎶🎶🎶

3 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

A nice peaceful listening experience!

Thanks Steve. My thoughts were to try to create the mood of a savanna at night with an absolutely clear sky filled with a spectacular view of the stars, galaxies and nebulae as well as the peaceful yet dangerous reality of living in that environment🎶🎶🎶🎶