DAWproject export

OeAi

as for the ending life project, can this be a one of the latest additions ?
well, it's a mostly the same export functionality, but through a different .dll, that should be possible to change/update later
any needed workaround you can add into their github project prob, this can be just a "transitions" .xml file for future updates or something
https://www.kvraudio.com/news/bitwig-and-presonus-announce-dawproject-a-daw-agnostic-project-format-58830

Edited by OeAi

3 hours ago, OeAi said:

as for the ending life project, can this [DAW Project Export] be a one of the latest additions ?

18 minutes ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

I've read this 3 or 4 times and I can make out if there's a question being asked or not

OeYi seems not to have read that no new features will be added to CbB.

My guess is the sort-of implied question not asked is, "Since CbB is now in EndOfLife status (as a product), can a feature be added to export Cakewalk Projects to other DAW formats?"

Another guess, the OP might not have read/understood all that has been written so far about what's going on.

I am still groggy from an old-man-afternoon-nap, so I won't try to summarize (1) what been written, (2) what's known, (3) what's up in the air, and (4) possible options for using existing Cakewalk/SONAR/CbB projects in Cakewalk Next and/or Cakewalk Sonar, or other DAWs.

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 8:29 PM, OeAi said:

as for the ending life project, can this be a one of the latest additions ?
well, it's a mostly the same export functionality, but through a different .dll, that should be possible to change/update later
any needed workaround you can add into their github project prob, this can be just a "transitions" .xml file for future updates or something
https://www.kvraudio.com/news/bitwig-and-presonus-announce-dawproject-a-daw-agnostic-project-format-58830

CbB is current version of OLD Sonar and there will be NEW Sonar which is most probably the next version of CbB. So no EOL.

If you want "escape" from Cakewalk products, there is solution (for one other DAW).

That is not "mostly the same" nor simple. Every program (including notepad, DAWs, plug-ins, games...) are just "different .exe or .dll". Conversion between formats on the level DAWProject propose is possible, but requires significant programming work (and skills in the topic). From exporting perspective, at the moment DAWProject will just add yet another 2 DAWs into which you can export easily.

Also note that DAWProject has quite significant assumptions about project structure, from quick look it is "compatible" with CbB/Sonar. But that doesn't mean any DAW can fit own paradigm into it. And even more important, the evil is in details... OMF and alike formats are simpler and exist for long, the compatibility for them is still not perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

it was just a newest feature that can be useful for everyone, whatever you want to stick with sonar or not.
if they will add this feature to new sonar, well it's alright too, but this allows for this CBb to work for some time longer.