Mapping sampled drum beats onto actual drum beats in Cakewalk?

Edward Allen

Question

Hi there

Is there a way to easily take a regular recorded acoustic drum pattern that appears on a channel in Cakewalk (lets just say a simple bass drum beat) and "map" onto it some "sampled" sounds (like the Steven Slate ones for example) so it "replaces" the sound of the actual  bass drum with a sampled one? (make sense?!?)

I know I could do this by laying down a midi track within Cakewalk, but I was looking to see more for situations where there is a need to "repair" the sounds from an acoustic kit.

Many thanks in advance.

Edward.

5 answers to this question

Hi

So, OK, now I know what to look for thanks I can see it it WAS actually already installed!

I've tried the feature and yes it does work to "identify" (in the case the bass drum) beats, and gives you 4 built in sound profiles to select, which is a nice start.

That said, I can't see if its possible to do the following:

• Create a separate channel for these "midi style" beats.
  • Map other drum samples onto these identified beats.

Any thoughts on how to do these next steps please? 

Thanks again.

Edited by Edward Allen
Further discovery of info...

You can drag the detection created from Drum Replacer onto a midi track and then use whatever drum VSTI you want to trigger with those midi notes.

https://noelborthwick.com/cakewalk/2015/08/04/using-cakewalk-drum-replacer-the-right-way-and-the-other-way-2/

Other options include using Melodyne's audio to midi conversion to do something similiar

• Thanks 1