extra encoding options for Wav

charles kasler

Glad you finally figured out that MP3 files are totally obsolete. The internet has bandwidth way beyond what it was in the days needing compressed audio. All the music sites I upload to use standard Wave files at 48/24. If you make You Tube videos of your music it will be encoded to a type of MP4 file but still it will be 48 and you can choose real high bit  rates like 360kbps. So these days nobody should be using 44.1 or MP3 files.   

This is what my export looks like for creating a Master. For uploading I change the Bit depth from 32 to 24

Screenshot (598).png

Edited by JohnnyV

I understand there's still uses for them, like I have a band mate who has low bandwidth internet so I take pity on him. But I still never export as an MP3 I simply batch convert using Gold Wave and then put the songs in a Cloud drive.  

And I do burn CD's for old clients who don't even own computers but Nero converts the 48/24 into 44.1/16 automatically. So I should have been more clear and stated Nobody has a real need to Export as 44.1 or MP3's any more. At least I stop doing that a few years ago. 48/24 all the way. Even my backing tracks. 

I think there are new users who think that the MP3 is the only way you can deliver music on the internet. This is what has changed in the last 5 years or so. As I said all my Music sites like Sound Cloud, Sound Click, and the others all except Wave files now, The listener hears the stream at a reduced bandwidths I guess but at least you did the best you could on your end and then people who download have better options. 

1 hour ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

The only time to use dither is when you're exporting to a lower word length - i.e. from 24 to 16

If you're not doing this then leave it unchecked 

I was going to mention that and forgot. 

This is why you see I have turned it off. The tracks are 24 bit already and Cakewalk processes at 32.  Exporting at 32 there is nothing being downgraded to a lower Bit depth. I would not use it at 24 either but that's my own personal choice really.  

That setting should be automatically saved with the project, along with all the other export options. I just checked that here to make sure, and it does. However, I am running a newer version of Sonar so it's possible your version isn't saving it for some reason.

But don't worry about it. It won't affect the quality of your export if you have dither enabled when it's unneeded.

But your thread title mentions "extra encoding options", so I'm assuming you're talking about the dialog that pops up after clicking the Export button that lists different wav file formats. Which of those you choose depends on the purpose for exporting a wav file. For example, if you're sending a track to a collaborator for inclusion in a shared project, use "signed 32-bit PCM". If you're exporting for inclusion in a CD compilation, use "signed 16-bit PCM". For most other purposes, including sending out for mastering, use "signed 24-bit PCM". But if in doubt, don't sweat it. 24-bit will almost always be OK.

As a footnote, I only export to wav if I'm sending the file to someone who has explicitly requested a particular format. Most of the time I export FLAC, which works for almost all scenarios. The exception would be if I plan on attaching the file to an email or uploading to a hosting site with a file size limit, in which case MP3 is preferred.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

That setting should be automatically saved with the project, along with all the other export options. I just checked that here to make sure, and it does. However, I am running a newer version of Sonar so it's possible your version isn't saving it for some reason.

But don't worry about it. It won't affect the quality of your export if you have dither enabled when it's unneeded.

This is interesting, certainly something I only just found out.

The Dithering option in the Export dialog will automatically pick up whatever the user has set  under Preferences > Audio > Playback & Recording.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 11:03 AM, sjoens said:

Q?  Is the exported FLAC format the same format as all those Dimension .flac files?  And do they contain compressed .wav data?

At least you didn't get any flak for asking.  9_9 :D

Edited by sjoens