Class Action Lawsuit?

Johnbee58

Maybe this has been discussed before but to all the people who were ripped off by Gibson when they sold out in 2017 and screwed some of you out of the $500.00 you paid for "Lifetime" upgrades/dates or whatever. 

Did you ever consider a class action lawsuit against Gibson?  They were the ones who "took your money and ran".  I'm not a attorney but I know that many product issues like this were settled in class action suits.  Maybe some of you can find a lawyer you can at least ask. 

I'm not involved so I really don't care.  Just a suggestion for those who were.  If you haven't considered it yet maybe something to think about.  Gibson must have made a considerable amount of money from that scam.

🙂John B

• Meh 1

Might be a hard one to argue for, unfortunately. Obviously this has nothing to do with Bandlab at this point, so it's all on Gibson.

But what was the actual deal, can anyone remember the wording?  "Lifetime" can mean different things, depending on context and the wording of the agreement. Lifetime of the product can mean until it's discontinued (which it was when Gibson shuttered the Cakewalk company) or lifetime of the company (of which the Cakewalk company reached end of life when Gibson shuttered it), or it could mean "forever and ever, amen" which is unlikely to ever be legally argued for, unfortunately.

I have no love for Gibson, mind you - they're a horrible company and what they did to both us (including me, I bought at lifetime license too) and the devs at the time was pretty poor form, so I wouldn't be sad if anyone DID try to sue them, but I think there'd be a bit of a legal uphill battle to do it.

Playing devil's advocate though, what I did pay for that "lifetime license" worked out to be around what I would have paid if I was doing a yearly thing anyway, so it all ended up as semantics for me in the end, so I didn't particularly feel ripped off by what I paid, but how it was handled by Gibson is always going to sit wrong for me.

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

Just to get in a little early, these threads tend to be a little bit of flame-bait (either intentionally or unintentionally), so if it starts to go south, I'll give it a lock.

This subject was done to death all those years ago. I'm not sure how a disinterested party bringing up a subject which leaves nobody happy is being helpful.

Please lock it now.

• Great Idea 2

OK, fair enough - that's 2 requests now.

I'm not opposed to the discussion about it at all, but you're right - this was really run into the ground ages ago and brought up again once the new paid products were announced. I'm not sure there's anything left to s---

Just now, Wibbles said:

.. or I'll start posting pictures of ladies in bikinis. :D

-- hold up, maybe we're being a bit hasty with this lock... 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2