Meters Peak my Interest

sadicus

Project Meter Options Playback:  Peak / Hold Peak
42 db Range (default)

1) The Track Meter shows a "-3"  and a "0"
yet the height of the Graph (Track Audio WAV File) is visually showing a spike  at "0"

2) The Track Meter shows Peak at "-11.6"

I thought the "Peak" is the tallest part of the Graph (visual spikes in audio)
Why is the Graph visually showing a peak of "0" and the Meter showing "-11.6"?

cbb_Meters_1.jpg

1 hour ago, sadicus said:

Project Meter Options Playback:  Peak / Hold Peak
42 db Range (default)

1) The Track Meter shows a "-3"  and a "0"
yet the height of the Graph (Track Audio WAV File) is visually showing a spike  at "0"

2) The Track Meter shows Peak at "-11.6"

I thought the "Peak" is the tallest part of the Graph (visual spikes in audio)

cbb_Meters_1.jpg

By default CbB shows the Peak value and not the RMS value. This can be changed. 

Changing meter options. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

I don’t look at the meter I look at the numerical read out as that always holds on to the highest peak reading until you re start playback.

But if it serious level management I want I will use a 3rd party meter like You Lean or Melda MMeter. 
That also gives me RMS and LUFS which is better info about the track. 

Always a sore spot for myself I'm hoping the meters/ mixing section will be redone at some point.

In addition something similar such as Cubase's control room is needed & long overdue. It would bring it up to date & make for a much better/ easier workflow. One nice feature concerning metering;

Edited by hsmusic
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, sadicus said:

The numeric peak resets to -Inf every time you start playback and holds the highest peak encountered during playback up to the Now time. Playback has not yet reached the higher peak in the waveform.

• Like 2

To add about using 3rd party loudness meters The paid version of You Lean loudness meter allows drag and drop analyzing of audio including dragging a track.
This not only gives you total peak and LUFS but  if you make settings for your target levels the graph will put markers where you go over those limits. So you don’t have to search for peaks  in real time.  
I find Cakewalks meters are just fine for most recording and mixing applications. But I like more details when editing. 

Edited by JohnnyV