Ample Bass Unsaves Project When Played

sjoens

are you touching any thing on the instrument, or have some automation on the instrument? i tested with a blank project and nothing happened until i touched one of the settings on the instrument, or used some automation to tweak it and then it caused the project to be treated as "dirty".

No automation.  If I MUTE the synth, or freeze it, it won't do it.

A new project with empty MIDI track won't do it until project is played and transport is stopped manually.

Stopping causes Ample instruments to "thump" for some reason, but I use the free versions.

Ample settings are the same for both projects.

Most other plugins don't behave this way.

Edited by sjoens

Something, such as a CC message is altering a parameter in the synth which causes it to tell Cakewalk it's been changed, and that is what is setting the modified state.

Things to check:
1. There are no CC messages on your synth track that could be altering parameters.
2. That MIDI output isn't enabled on other synths, when you don't need it.  It could be that another synth is sending MIDI out which this synth is picking up.

I'd start with checking which CC messages the synth responds to first though... then look at what could be sending them.

Internal LFO in the plugin?  There are definitely some plugins (Green Oak Crystal off the top of my head) which "dirty" the project if there's an LFO present.  I assume Cakewalk picks the changing internal value as a parameter change (which, if done manually, would result in a dirty project).

6 minutes ago, Xoo said:

Internal LFO in the plugin?  There are definitely some plugins (Green Oak Crystal off the top of my head) which "dirty" the project if there's an LFO present.  I assume Cakewalk picks the changing internal value as a parameter change (which, if done manually, would result in a dirty project).

This kind of thing is certainly a possibility, and yes - this is exactly what Cakewalk is interpreting the change as.  If the synth changes things internally it shouldn't be a problem, but if it informs Cakewalk that a change has been made, then it will dirty the project.

@msmcleod 1. Check     2. Check

The test project only has AS synth loaded.
There's no CC's or MIDI data at the beginning of the bass track, but the instant I hit PLAY it triggers an edit.
Odd but apparently normal for AS plugins.

Few if any other synths with CC's triggers an edit.

maybe you have something set in the preferences which cause the synth to cause this? i just tried this with all the Ample free ones (guitar, bass) and paid ones (2 guitars, 2 bass) i have, and then using my default record template which has a dozen VI (one is Ample U Bass), and not once did hitting play cause the file to go dirty.

image.png.0c27726fcc5dfdc4b88e0d655c8c15fe.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton

my guess the thump on stop might be when the attack of the instrument is kicked off but the note terminates (either due to it being too short for the instrument to fully articulate the note, or the stop call). with the "standard groove" from EZbass dragged onto the MIDI line, i did not experience the stop thump (or any).  i have experienced "spikes" "transients" "thumps" when doing stops but usually it's drums or pads and sometimes guitars. but not usually the fault of the instrument, more the speed at which i'm operating the transport to stop and restart etc.

• Thanks 1