Trouble with Korg Collection plugins (new install, old project) [RESOLVED]

Hi there Forum denizens,

So I've been building a new DAW over the weekend, and installing software - as you do. One of these was the KORG Collection 4 set of VSTis. (The installation includes both VST and VST3 plugins.)

Unfortunately, when I open projects that used, say, the KORG M1 VSTi, Sonar barfs while "Loading synth data". Drops out to desktop.

This does not happen when i create a new project and insert an instance of Korg M1 - naturally.

I know I can hold down SHIFT during loading and open my project... and then futz around and replace the synth.but my question is, have any of you encountered this issue, or similar, with the Korg plugins?

Edited by Colin Nicholls

I have been playing around with ELECTRIBE-R and KAOSS PAD VST3s for the last couple of days without incident.

Would take me some time to find a project with M1 in it.

Is VST3 migration enabled in CbB? If so, do you think the old project used the VST2 plug-in?

Do you regularly clear out the KORG Software Pass folder? If not, the old installers should be there.

12 minutes ago, scook said:

Is VST3 migration enabled in CbB? If so, do you think the old project used the VST2 plug-in?

Yes, that box is checked :-). Then I realized that the installers put both versions on the disk so that couldn't be it.

Next step may be to dig out the older installers - or, bite the bullet and fire up the old computer and see what patches I'm using so that i can rebuild using the version 4 VSTs.

In the programming world we call this "paying technical debt"

Edited by Colin Nicholls

8 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Yes, that box is checked :-). Then I realized that the installers put both versions on the disk so that couldn't be it.

yes the migration may the problem if the old project used VST2

Try turning off VST3 migration and see if the new VST2 works.

If it does not, you may be able to manually update the projects but it will require a little dll/vst3 swapping

If this is a VST3 migration problem that is between Noel/KORG.

If you are not getting minidumps, try setting ExceptionHandlingSeverity to 7 in Preferences > File > Initialization File.

35 minutes ago, scook said:

yes the migration may the problem if the old project used VST2

Try turning off VST3 migration and see if the new VST2 works.

YOU BEAUTY

@scook is the MVP

This worked.

36 minutes ago, scook said:

If this is a VST3 migration problem that is between Noel/KORG.

@Noel Borthwick, I guess in the big scheme of things this might be a minor issue but if you would like me to collect some data on this specific issue, now would be a good time 🙂

I'm going to Vegas

seriously, KORG has a colorful past with their VST3 implementation

I turned off automatic VST3 migration back in the SONAR days.

prefer to handle migration on my own, thanks.

capture a minidump for the devs