Old Firewire Soundcards

X-53mph

Is there still a market in second-hand Firewire gear?

I've got an old Edirol Fa101 which I cannot use anymore after upgrading to a new laptop, so I was thinking of selling it, but when I look on Ebay, no one seems to be buying them. It's a real shame because, in its day, it was a great piece of kit.

Is there a place where old music gear is bought and sold which might suit this type of stuff better?

Anyone know?

Edited by Philip G Hunt

14 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

I just recently sold all three of my old MOTU 896 FW interfaces on Ebay without a problem. 

I can see how someone might want that MOTU. It's a beast.  However, I don't know if anyone would be interested in the FA-101, which was more of a mobile soundcard. 

Prices on Reverb.com for a similar Edirol FA-66 go from 100-200 Euros (but that only means sh#t if someone actually buys it). While on Ebay I see the FA-101 listed for anything from 50 (for parts) to 200 Euros. But again, don't mean diddly if no-one buys it.

Hell! I should just list it. :D

• Great Idea 1

I have started "collecting" audio interfaces on e-bay. I mean for someone with Realtek and SB5.1 it is questionable to spend even 100€ for some "device" with unknown outcome (not even 5.1 capable!). It happened M-Audio FireWire Audiophile was around for cheap, and it is still on my desk as "default" interface (after several seconds with Shure headphones, I have recognized that Music Audio Interfaces are not the same as platinum USB cables... each computer upgrade I check if Realtek can do the trick as "default"... but no, at least not yet... lol).

Later I took Phonic Firefly. I had to pay more for it, but will way less then for new with 8 channels, able to work standalone and without ground loop issues.

There will be someone who wants "professional" FireWire device relatively cheap, as long as:
* it works under Window 10/11 (without driver installation tricks)
* there are PCIe FireWire cards

I mean if FA-101 can be used under Windows 10, it is better mention that when selling on e-bay (or alike platform). And if you have PCIe FireWire which works good (so TI based) and you don't need, it may be worse to include it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, azslow3 said:

There will be someone who wants "professional" FireWire device relatively cheap, as long as:
* it works under Window 10/11 (without driver installation tricks)
* there are PCIe FireWire cards

That is the crux of it, and the TI chip seems to be most necessary for the PCIe FW card. New drivers for legacy products can very much be the bigger issue though.

I still use an old Saffire PRO 24 DSP, and when I set it back up I loaded the MixControl 3.7 drivers without thinking (the one that "broke" everyone's Saffire). Turns out, that issue was really that MON 1/2 outputs through MON 3/4. Nice WTF moment there, but since I only use 2 outputs and never look at the back of it, I left it like that and blew off the "maybe I should break down and get a USB interface?" The better solution to that issue is to back out to 3.6 (3.7 was really a MAC update), but once I found this issue I thought it was kind of funny.