Export to MP3 fails on new install

Jack Hawk

Interesting, similar vibe here:

Is this the same error you're seeing?

This isn't crashing for me or another user in that thread, so it sounds like something is common and clearly not working  on your systems that's making this encoder crash. If you have a crash dump, definitely get that over to support.

A lot of people used LAME as their MP3 encoder until the Cakewalk one was unlocked years back, but I personally prefer exporting to WAV and then using some audio editor (such as Audacity, which is free)  to do the final silence trimming and exporting to MP3.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 2

I'll ditto that as well. I export everything at 48/24 wave. 

Cakewalks export is too clunky to bother with top and tailing the songs so I load them into Wave Lab to clean that up. 

If I do need MP3's , which is rare, I use Gold Wave to batch convert. 

MP3 are becoming obsolete anyhow. I send my friends wave files now because everyone has unlimited bandwidth and fiber optic internet. I upload wave files to Sound Cloud too. MP'3 have gone the way of the 44.1 CD. 

Edited by JohnnyV

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for replies, usually i export to flac not wave, it's just about time and space on harddrive.
But for mp3, well it's there and should be working, but if there is some bug with 1 non-perfect system well it's ok, a usual case.
as for mp3 there are dithering options and 64bit rendering should be better than 32bit wave, so maybe there is something about it, not sure really.
even for flac 24bit, well it depends on actual sound card hardware possibilities - it just can't produce 64bit sound, but really using foobar-encode to mp3 doesn't differs that much, except no dithering options and  for audacity too.

Edited by OeAi