Modo Drum causes bad clicks & pops

T Boog

Hi guys. I was using the free Modo Drum vst(which I love) but it started giving me bad clicks and pops. The prob started when I switched from WASAPI to ASIO. Note, the performance tab showed plenty of memory available.

I'm now having to use the Slate SS5 free drums which gives no problems at all. Could the prob be that Modo Drum file size is much larger or could it be I need to download it again with the right driver? I'd love to use Modo Drum again so any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Promidi.

Sample rate is set to 44100

Bit depth is locked(grayed out) on 24

Buffer size is full safe(46 Msec)

Computer is Intel Core i5-2400 CPU

3.1 Ghz

RAM 16 GB

Running Windows 10 Pro

It only has one drive(Solid State)

That CPU might be a little under powered...

What audio interface are you using?  Are you using the latest drivers?

Have you confirmed that you have an openGL 2 compatible graphics adapter?

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1

Interface is an Audiobox 96.

"Graphics adapter" is a bit over my head but it says under Device Manager> Display Adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics. It says it's the "best driver" and is up to date. (Is that open GL2 compatible?)

Fwiw, I think u may have something with the graphics issue cause MODO Drum is much higher detailed visually compared to the SS5 drums.

Btw it was odd, with the MODO drums, the clicking and popping got worse the slower I set the buffer size. Like it had the opposite effect. Don't know if that helps shed some light.

44 minutes ago, Andres Medina said:

It seems to me that your buffer size is too low. 

In my system, any value under 128 click and pop.

256 is just fine, good balance between low latency and sound stability.

Thanks Andres. Just to make sure we're on the same page, it popped worse the further to the right/safe I set it. But it basically acted up regardless of where I set the buffer size.

Man, I don't understand why Modo Drum worked perfectly when I had the driver set to WASAPI. I only switched it to ASIO because WASAPI wouldn't let me record audio. Just midi.

Is that buffer size 46ms or 46 samples?

For instance in my Preferences - Audio - Driver settings, my buffer size is 256 samples (5.3 milliseconds) - and my MODO drums works fine on my i5-4670.

Your graphics adapter is probably Intel HD2000.  I think that supports Opengl 3.1

Personally I would think about a PC upgrade - including a dedicated graphics card.

Some people don’t see a dedicated graphics card as being necessary. However, some plugins can offload much of the rendering of their GUIs to the GPU - the less the main CPU has to do, the better.

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Is that buffer size 46ms or 46 samples?

For instance in my Preferences - Audio - Driver settings, my buffer size is 256 samples (5.3 milliseconds) - and my MODO drums works fine on my i5-4670.

Your graphics adapter is probably Intel HD2000.  I think that supports Opengl 3.1

Personally I would think about a PC upgrade - including a dedicated graphics card.

Some people don’t see a dedicated graphics card as being necessary. However, some plugins can offload much of the rendering of their GUIs to the GPU - the less the main CPU has to do, the better.

Thanks. I know ur right that I could use an upgrade and Im glad to know about the graphics card thing. (Still weird that it worked fine on WASAPI though). 

Yeah, the buffer size is usually on 46.4 msec,

2048 Samples.

For tracking though, I speed it up to 11.6 msec

512 samples so there's not much latency.

1 hour ago, JohnnyV said:

All audio interfaces come with ASIO drivers which are normally the best choice for many reasons. Make sure you have the most up to date driver from the manufactures web site. This video has all the details of setting up Cakewalk audio for optimum results. 

https://youtu.be/opDwsC4_llg

Cheers John! Yeah, aside from MODO Drum, ASIO works great for my VSTs and audio. I'm really starting think Promidi is right that my computer just isn't quite up to snuff.

Out of curiosity I opened Modo Drum demo version on my office computer that uses on board audio and WASAPI shared mode. Seems just fine. I put it in a project which had a lot of tracks and effects running. The office computer is from 2016 i5 4 core 2.8. 16 GB RAM with SSD drives. 
Have you ever run the Resplendance Latency Monitor? 
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Out of curiosity I opened Modo Drum demo version on my office computer that uses on board audio and WASAPI shared mode. Seems just fine. I put it in a project which had a lot of tracks and effects running. The office computer is from 2016 i5 4 core 2.8. 16 GB RAM with SSD drives. 
Have you ever run the Resplendance Latency Monitor? 
https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Wow, thanks for the extra effort John. Alright, I just ran that latency mon and it says, "Concl: Your system appears to be suitable for handling... without dropouts". So that's great to know.

Btw John, Have u given any thought as to why Modo Drum worked perfect for me on WASAPI but is having problems with ASIO?

Keep in mind, I'm still pretty green with Cakewalk(despite watching all ur videos 😋). So for all I know, it's a setting on Cakewalk or the computer that I'm overlooking/ unaware of. Like a format setting or something...(?) 

Well this might be the problem. Usually PreSonus have proper ASIO drivers but it appears yours does not have ASIO. So using ASIO will most likely not work.  It appears to be made for Mac users not Windows. 

Quote from specifications- 

The AudioBox USB 96 is built to be used on the go with a heavy-duty steel chassis to stand up to the rigors of mobile recording. It’s USB class-compliant — no special drivers to install — and natively compatible with Apple Silicon-based Macs and iOS and iPadOS devices. A screaming-loud headphone output ensures you can hear your music clearly, even in noisy locations.  

I could be wrong but I don't see any mention of ASIO and searching the internet only leads you to download and install the PreSonus Unaversal Control which it is not documented anywhere as having an ASIO driver. 

You could check by opening the Reg Edit App and looking under ASIO and see if your device is listed. 

The other place to check is in Sync and Caching at the bottom. 

If not you will need to use WASAPI modes. Be warned that if you plan on overdubbing vocals or guitar you will need to run a loopback test and adjust your timing offset correctly or the new tracks will be late in timing sync. This is the exact same issue as with Behringer's entry level interfaces, No ASIO driver. I personally would trade it in for a interface that has ASIO drivers. I believe if you go up in price points that will happen with the PreSonus brand but this is not clearly noted on the web site.   

49780154_Screenshot(562).png.8f361a30ef36e198603e9b3a8b3f0755.png

Edited by JohnnyV

3 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

I could be wrong but I don't see any mention of ASIO and searching the internet only leads you to download and install the PreSonus Unaversal Control which it is not documented anywhere as having an ASIO driver. 

I referred to the AudioBoxUSB96 manual and found a mention of ASIO driver.

The Universal Control installer for Windows is available for download from your My PreSonus user account. This installation includes the ASIO and WDM drivers for the AudioBox USB96.

It also described how to set it up in Cakewalk SONAR.

1. Launch Sonar.
2. Go to Options | Audio... and click on the Advanced tab.
3. Change the Driver Mode to “ASIO.” (Note: Using WDM, rather than ASIO, for pro audio applications is not recommended.)
4. Click the “OK” button.
5. Restart Sonar.
6. Go to Options | Audio... and click on the Drivers tab.
7. Highlight all input and output drivers beginning with “PreSonus AudioBox USB96.”
8. Go to Options | Audio... and click on the General tab.
9. Set the Playback Timing Master to “PreSonus AudioBox USB96... DAW Out 1.”
10. Set the Recording Timing Master to “PreSonus AudioBox USB96... Mic/Inst 1.”

• Like 1

Good find. That good news as this interface is only about $100. So possibly a good deal for people on a budget. It’s odd they don’t make it clear that it uses ASIO because if I was shopping I would pass it by.  The minute I see “doesn’t need any drivers “ I move on.  The adds seem very focused on the Mac crowd.  

11 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Well this might be the problem. Usually PreSonus have proper ASIO drivers but it appears yours does not have ASIO. So using ASIO will most likely not work.  It appears to be made for Mac users not Windows. 

Quote from specifications- 

The AudioBox USB 96 is built to be used on the go with a heavy-duty steel chassis to stand up to the rigors of mobile recording. It’s USB class-compliant — no special drivers to install — and natively compatible with Apple Silicon-based Macs and iOS and iPadOS devices. A screaming-loud headphone output ensures you can hear your music clearly, even in noisy locations.  

You could check by opening the Reg Edit App and looking under ASIO and see if your device is listed. 

The other place to check is in Sync and Caching at the bottom. 

If not you will need to use WASAPI modes. Be warned that if you plan on overdubbing vocals or guitar you will need to run a loopback test and adjust your timing offset correctly or the new tracks will be late in timing sync. This is the exact same issue as with Behringer's entry level interfaces, No ASIO driver. I personally would trade it in for a interface that has ASIO drivers. I believe if you go up in price points that will happen with the PreSonus brand but this is not clearly noted on the web site.   

49780154_Screenshot(562).png.8f361a30ef36e198603e9b3a8b3f0755.png

Yeah John, In Registry Edit> ASIO>Audiobox ASIO Driver is listed. But again, that's good to know.

8 hours ago, HIBI said:

8 hours ago, HIBI said:

Thanks HIBI but when I launch Cakewalk, I don't see anything that says "Options". Can someone please explain how I get to that?