Not saving state of Reaktor 6?

Magic Russ

Question

I was going through some projects and noticed that in all of the instances of Reaktor 6 I could find, the state of the plugin was either not saved or not loading correctly.  Every time I tried to open an instance of R6 in an existing project, it was empty with no ensemble loaded.  Is this a known issue?

12 answers to this question

FWIW; every project where I have a Reaktor 6 instance loads with the saved ensemble installed and active. I keep copious notes on the patch & automation settings in the track notes section to confirm. I also have notes on the start parameters so that the sound that I want to morph is identical every pass, at least until I freeze or bounce it.

Edited by OutrageProductions

21 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

I tested the VST3 version and verified that it retains all the patch information correctly on project reload. If you have any further details, we can look into it. 

I have retested with some recent files and they appear to be pulling up patch information correctly.  The issue I have seems to be mostly with some files from about 2 years ago.

19 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Could it be possible that they were actually Reaktor 5 instances?

Not at all.  In most cases these tracks originated with track templates I made for Reaktor 6, or Cakewalk renamed the track with "Reaktor 6" when I performed a Replace Synth operation on the track.  Cakewalk says it is loading Reaktor 6 when loading the track, the plugin window says Reaktor 6 and the interface looks like Reaktor 6.

I haven't seen a problem with older projects where I still have Reaktor 5 on tracks. 

Two months ago NI added a VST3 version with auto migration from VST2.  I wonder if it is possible that that confused Cakewalk.  

In Preferences, there is an option to automatically load VST3 if both VST2 and VST3 versions are available.

When I load a project where I saved with VST2 and this option is unchecked, it recalls the state of the plugin correctly.

When I load a project with that option checked, it does not recall the state of the plugin correctly.

As far as I know, Reaktor 6 is the only plugin where I have had that problem.

On 6/15/2023 at 3:12 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

I tested the VST3 version and verified that it retains all the patch information correctly on project reload. If you have any further details, we can look into it. 

I outlined steps to recreate in the post above.  Let me know if you would like me to send a project or two.

On 6/15/2023 at 5:12 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

I have just started seeing Osirus (https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/osirus/) not having it's patch information recalled after being unfrozen. Using the vst3 flavor

Just to reiterate the problem...

I can save a project containing the VST2 version and it will recall the state of the plugin.

I can save a project containing the VST3 version and it will recall the state of the plugin.

However, when Cakewalk migrates a VST2 instance of Reaktor 6 to VST3, I lose the state of the plugin.

I don't recall seeing this happen when Cakewalk migrated other plugins from VST2 to VST3.   

Is Cakewalk supposed to retain the state of a plugin when migrating from VST2 to VST3?

3 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

Maybe unrelated but I have a lot of pre sets in older VST 2 plug ins like Addictive drums but then they are not available in the VST3 versions.  So I’m still using VST2 for those. 

That particular instrument is a good example - some plugins didn't provide automatic migration methods from VST2 to 3, and that is beyond Cakewalk to account for. -Although for the OP, it seems a group of similar plugins don't all behave the same, which is indeed frustrating. -John, FWIW, all my Addictive drums kits transferred to VST3 by using the manual method, -save/export the kit in the old version to your presets folder, then import that preset when in the new version.

• Like 1

Ya I figured there was a way to copy them over but in reality I don’t actually see any benefits in using the VST 3 version right now.  I’m sure they both sound exactly the same.
When I install new plug ins I generally only install the VST 3 version. 

• Like 1