Listening to this now

Mesh

8 hours ago, Wibbles said:

I really need to listen to more of The Furries.

The problem has been that I thought "Rings Around the World"  was such a masterpiece that anything else was unnecessary. I can see I maybe need to readjust my thinking. 

it's all great :) gruff's solo stuff is good too

I spent Christmas up in Northamptonshire with my family. So for a Cobblers connection, here are three tracks by Northampton bands all featuring David J*:

* and as @craigb knows, Daniel Ash and Kevin Haskins are in two of the bands. Northampton wasn't a very big town at the time.

Edited by Wibbles
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

and david j and kev haskins guest on jazz butcher's (pat fish) second lp, scandal in  bohemia (from which that girlfriend single is from)

David J was in the band, not a guest, for Scandal in Bohemia (that's why I posted Girlfriend). He was still in the band for the recording of S*x and Travel but left a few months after its release in 1985. 

Kevin Haskins does not appear on Scandal in Bohemia but he did provide drums on the single version of Southern Mark Smith and its B side, The Jazz Butcher Meets Count Dracula.

I could go further into excruciating detail ...

Edited by Wibbles
It bloody ***** out S*x
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wibbles said:

David J was in the band, not a guest, for Scandal in Bohemia (that's why I posted Girlfriend). He was still in the band for the recording of S*x and Travel but left a few months after its release in 1985. 

Kevin Haskins does not appear on Scandal in Bohemia but he did provide drums on the single version of Southern Mark Smith and its B side, The Jazz Butcher Meets Count Dracula.

I could go further into excruciating detail ...

you should consider updating the discogs entry https://www.discogs.com/artist/378507-Pat-Fish

A second album A Scandal in Bohemia featured guest appearances from David J and Kevin Haskins of Bauhaus.

i like jazz butcher, but don't know much about bauhaus

Edited by pwalpwal
clarity

25 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

you should consider updating the discogs entry https://www.discogs.com/artist/378507-Pat-Fish

If I was to start correcting everything that's wrong on the internet ...

Both the discogs profile and the wiki entry associated the Jazz Butcher with Oxford. He/they may have played their first gig there, but it was definitely a Northampton band.

I spent my teen years in rural Northamptonshire, which is when the Jazz Butcher and Bauhaus first came to my attention. The rest of my immediate family live in and around Northampton. But I've been in Reading since I was 19. 

There's not a huge number of prominent artists/bands from Reading, but here's Mike Oldfield ... kind of.;)

Prokofiev's Symphony #2 in Dm - The Royal Scottish orchestra conducted by Neeme Jarvi

The first heavy metal album? Prokofiev characterized this symphony as a work of "iron and steel". It's not my favorite from him, but it's definitely heavy metal.

Edited by Notes_Norton