Speakers

Robert Hale

Question

8 answers to this question

Hi, Robert. If you're using your interface with the headphones and you're using ASIO and you want to switch to your computer speakers, you can't.

You would need to change to the computer soundcard and change the driver mode from ASIO to WASAPI or WDM/KS or MME.

Easier to connect your interface to an amplifier/speaker combo. If you have one. If you have powered speakers, just unplug them from the computer and to the interface.

• Thanks 1

In many audio converters, you can mute the outputs to the speakers in the UI; this shouldn't affect the headphone output in most converters.  ASIO has nothing to do with this, as I use ASIO.  Also, if your computer is plugged into any kind of mixer, this can be done manually on the mixer, typically.

• Thanks 1

All my project templates have hardware outputs that I assign the master bus to; speakers, headphones, surround (6 channel). That makes it easy to change from phones to nearfields to big monitors (stereo just using hardware out 5&6 and my surround monitor controller). And I still have 2 hardware outs unassigned. Hmmm...

2 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

o change from phones to nearfields to big monitors (stereo just using hardware out 5&6 and my surround monitor controller). And I still have 2 hardware outs unassigned.

2 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

All my project templates have hardware outputs that I assign the master bus to; speakers, headphones, surround (6 channel). That makes it easy to change from phones to nearfields to big monitors (stereo just using hardware out 5&6 and my surround monitor controller). And I still have 2 hardware outs unassigned. Hmmm...

Thanks! That sounds complicated to me. Where can I see a more detailed instruction?

As I recall, the Audio Interface that you finally settled on doesn't have multiple hardware output options available, so I was just explaining that using an output for headphones and an output for speakers is possible IF and only IF your I/O has multiple outs built in.

In your case, you might want to explore further what @Lynn Wilson suggested, or the scenario from @57Gregy.

This is not a Cakewalk problem the answer is in the user manual for your audio interface. Most also have Videos with tutorials on the web site. 
I will assume you have plugged your desktop speakers into the audio interface. When you use an interface it handles all audio. 
Every audio interface I’ve ever used has a level control for the headphones and a main volume for the speakers. You simply turn up or down the playback system you want to listen on. 

Edited by JohnnyV
  • Thanks 1